Stupid smile. (39)

"Okay well, We have just been told that your mother has been taken to the hospital." She said quietly, trying to stay respectful.

I swallowed. Guilt trickled down me.

"Is she okay?"

"She had a heart attack and they are doing all they can but I think you should go and see her." She said patting me on the back.

I felt my eyes tear up and I tried to keep them in.

"I think I should go see her now Miss." I whimpered.

"I agree. I can call a cab?" She offered.

"No it's fine Miss, I would like to drive, "I muttered.

She nodded as I gathered up my stuff and thanked her before leaving the room closing the door. As I was walking out of school I felt my eyes become blurry with tears and I felt them trickle down my face.

I should have been there for her. This is all my fault. She's my mum, how could I let this happen? I abandoned her. What if she dies and I'm not there? What if I don't get to say sorry, say goodbye.

I rushed out of the school door as fast as I could and sped off to the hospital, I tried my best to keep concentrating on the road but thoughts kept crowding my head.

Then it started pouring down with rain, the sky grey all around me. The rain smashed against my windshield like it was angry. I turned on my windscreen wipers and it swished the water from side to side. Barley cleared the screen each time.

The cars raced past me and the roads felt like havoc. Uncalm and not safe. But I pushed through.

When I finally got to the hospital the rain had gotten worse, and of course, I didn't bring a coat, or a jacket and my legs were bare. I wiped my tears took a deep breath and ran in the rain drenching my clothes and hair before I finally got under shelter and went into the hospital walking straight up to reception.

"Hi, I was told my mother was taken here?"

"What's her name?"The man at reception said typing on his computer.

"Amelia Mayble."

"What's your relation to her?"He asked nodding.

"I'm her daughter."

"Okay, she's in ward 203 on the second floor." He said pointing at the staircase with a smile.

I nodded and thanked him before rushing off up the stairs and following the signs.

After about 3 minutes of walking around, I finally found the sign that said ward 203 and I opened the door, There was a long corridor and I could hear beepings of all sorts.

I looked to my left and there was an old man in a hospital bed. There was a lady with him she looked pretty old, but nowhere near as old as him. I'm guessing that was her dad. She was sitting on the edge of his bed and they were chatting, smiling.

Seeing that made me miss my dad, I hadn't thought of him in a long time.

--------------------------------

"Jessica I need to talk to you."

"Okie Dokie."

"Your grandpas in hospital."

"Oh, is he going to be okay?"

"I don't think so." He said with his head down staring at the floor.

"Dad, I'm gonna miss grandpa."

"I know Jessica. I'm going to miss him very much too."

"Don't be sad Dad, I'm sure he will be with nana and he will be happy."