Scrub. (65)

I woke up. God knows what time it was, and to be honest that was the least on my mind.

It was spinning at 100 miles an hour and the sleep didn't seem to help, so with a groggy foggy brain, I sat up, taking in my surroundings for the first time.

It was beautiful, a warm cosy room, lit with fairy lights and decorated with a warm fireplace, hanging plants, beautiful wooden bookshelves and wardrobes, desks, and cabinets filled with draws.

But suddenly chills ran down me.

Why would I need so much storage? Unless I was staying here for a very long time.

Was I going to get out of here? Would I make get through this alive? Now that I knew all that I know, I doubt it. Not unless they really believed I could be trusted, and I don't even know if it's my trust they want from me at all.

I was clueless. In the dark, this place looked lovely, but I was in the fiery pits of hell, where terrible people torture terrible people and we are all banished underneath the soil.

At least that's what it felt like.

Something told me that Lucas and the boys haven't got this kind of luxury.

So why do I?

My mind replayed the events of yesterday, of sue marnca, of how the knife had been thrust into Lucas 20 times.

My breath tightened, fingers clammy. Did he make it? Was he alive?

I got up from my bed and walked over to the door pulling on it carefully. To my surprise, it opened, Guess they didn't lock me in here.

But as I pulled it open a familiar face greeted me.

There standing in a hallway outside my room was Hunter with an annoyed look plastered on his face.

"Hunter?"

He turned his head, eyebrow raised.

"Oh morning." He huffed walking over to me as nothing had ever happened and for a moment I believed that too, he stopped at my doorway eyes heavy and tired.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked my dislike for him slipping out a bit in my voice. But it didn't seem to faze him.

"I've been stuck on babysitting duty all night. " He pushed his hand through his messy curled hair and it bounced back a little.

"Im guessing that means you have to keep an eye on me." I rose an eyebrow.

"Bingo."

"Can I leave my room?"

"Nice try." He smirked. "No."

"Is Lucas okay?"

Hunter snorted at that, his ginger locks resting messily above his eyes. "The guy got tortured, what do you think?"

My mouth twisted. "Well is he... Alive?"

Hunter looked me up and down with an eyebrow raised, his eyes flickering as if he was debating with himself on whether to show sympathy or not.

"Yes. He's alive, for now."

A pit rose in my stomach at the sound of that.

For now?

I slumped against the door, despite all the sleep I still felt drained. I still felt like acid burned through my vanes, rage swallowing me up. It was so unfamiliar, sure I could be angry but, this? This was something new.

And I hated it.

I wasn't sure what to say to Hunter, how to act. What I was even doing here. What I expected to do.