Liam is the one. (40)

My head thumped and the noise of lots of voices crowded around me.

"Jess wake up!" Lucas mumbled giving me a little shake.

The beeping wasn't at its normal pace. It had sped up and that's when I noticed that people were grabbing my mum's bed.

I shot up and a doctor came up to me.

"Your mum's heart is struggling to keep pumping. We can take her in but we are going to have operate on her and even then there is only a 35 percent chance she will survive. But without it, she won't make it." He explained in a rush.

My head spun, or maybe the room was spinning, I couldn't tell and everything was happening so fast. I looked over to Lucas who was giving me a desperate look.

I just nodded, and like that the doctor rushed to my mum's side and she was rolled away.

Is my mum going to die?

A nurse came over to me and told me to wait in the waiting room. She gently guided me her bright blue eyes giving me pity. But I didn't want her pity. I just wanted my mum to survive.

I sat down slowly and began to feel emotions rush over me as I realized what was happening. Everything felt so fake, I wondered if this was a nightmare, but as I looked around the room and saw some people in tears, I realized their pain wasn't fake and neither was mine.

Lucas came and sat next to me and all I could do was cry in his arms. If my mum died, it would be my fault.

Lucas pulled me up and held me by the shoulders looking into my eyes.

"Jess, it's going to be okay." He comforted me as calmly as he could.

It was nice to have someone to tell you that, even when you know that they don't know it's going to be okay. How can they?

He wiped the tears on my cheeks and gave me a faint smile. His dimples were showing a little. I forgot he had dimples. Lucas wasn't a very smiley person so seeing them was a rare occasion. But they suited him. They worked well with his dark brown hair that always seemed to be so perfectly messy it was like each strand was in the exact right place.

But seeing his dimples did cheer me up a bit, Because if Lucas could smile in the current situation maybe I could.

"Thank you," I whispered.

I looked around.

"What time is it?" I ask.

"9 am," He says and I look around. "But you're in luck because Liam left school to get you breakfast."

My heart melted, what a sweetheart.

"What's he getting me?" I grinned at him.

"I told him about how much you like chocolate and Starbucks." He laughed.

"For breakfast?" I raised cocked my eyebrow. "I mean I'm not complaining but, for breakfast? Chocolate?"

"Well, I figured you needed it." He laughed and I grinned.

"You know me so well."

He smirked shaking his head.

"I've gotta go to the toilet real quick," I say standing up before heading off, I don't know my way around the hospital so I just go to the one near the entrance.

I walk down a couple of hallways and then I see Liam with the food, I was about to say hi to him when I realized he wasn't walking, He had his back against the wall and he was on the phone. I hid behind the edge of the turn into the hallway. It was instinct, maybe I was just on edge.