Don't make me beg. (54)

In those few seconds where this man's devouring eyes glared into me, many thoughts were running through my head on what I should say.

First I landed on a lie, who's Lucas Allard? But I didn't want to risk digging a deeper hole.

Then I landed on, ah my enemy you mean? But I didn't know how much this man knew.

So finally all I could say was "How do you know Lucas Allard?" It was more a command, a threat. But it only seemed to please him.

"How do you know Lucas Allard?" He echoed back, turning his head slightly in curiosity.

Did he really not know that much?

Was this just because he caught Lucas's eyes on mine?

Was he that observant? That sadistic? As I glared at him, I realised it was definitely possible.

Time to lie my ass off again.

"That little bitch and his group of kids keep cutting off my drug shipments." I spat being sure to glare at Lucas while I said it. He had stopped now. He leaned against a wall with his eyes still glued to me.

"Oh?" The man pushed with a curious look.

"That's why I'm here, I was hoping to make a deal with someone to get the fucker killed."

"And why do that when you can kill him yourself?" he was cold, blunt, I realise this is clearly the type of thing he talks about often, it is normal to him, the talk of murder.

I tried to hide my panic. Every minute with this man-made me hate him more, he was cruel, vile, violent in every aspect of himself, even his appearance. I wondered how many necks those hands under his gloves had squeezed. I wondered how many lives those dark eyes had watched be cut away.

I opened my mouth but before I could say anything I was cut off.

"Mind if I cut in?" A voice asked bringing us back to reality, A man stood there His mask highly detailed and expensive. His suit was fully white and he wore a bow tie. He wasn't as young as me and the dark-haired man I had been dancing with, more middle-aged. Like late '40s and even though he had a mask on and I knew I had never seen him before, there was something about him that made me sad. He had salt and pepper hair and blueish grey eyes lines beginning to form on his forehead.

Reminded me of lost memories, of screaming, crying yet love and care at the same time.  I looked to the man who just nodded before stepping to the side.

"Until we meet again, Love." He smirked taking my gloved hand and kissing it, his eyes flickered to the middle-aged man before walking away.

I placed my hand reluctantly on the man's shoulder and we danced. As we span around I would catch a glimpse of Lucas keeping his eye on us from afar and I felt safe.

"Might I know the name of the fair lady I'm dancing with?"

"Isn't the whole point of a masquerade to conceal your identity?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Fair point, do forgive me. It's just, I can't help but question your appearance here tonight." He said his voice sceptical and weary.

"Why is that?" I swallowed not looking at him.

"There are very few Ladies in our business." He said and we both knew I knew exactly what he meant. "Most of the Ladies here are with men, you, however, are on your own."

"Who says I'm on my own?" I asked and he didn't answer me, I felt my stomach twist and I tried not to panic. "And anyway, I could be a, How do you say, Outside investor?" I smiled looking at him this time trying to show him I was serious. But I reminded myself of where my gun was, should I need it.

He nodded staying silent for a moment as we dance and sway a little more until the song ends.

"Well have a good evening." He says before leaving me there, his eyes a little sad as he does. I had noticed too that he was alone, no female friend to dance with.

I smiled a little, though I didn't know why, out of all the men I had met from my encounters with the mafia, he seemed the gentlest, the kindest. I hoped I was right about that.

And then a hand took my waist, sending electricity up me like it always does. Though lately, I had wished it didn't.

"Fancy meeting you here." He smirked as I turned to him, I met him with a scowl as the music started its next song.

"What do you want?" I hissed, my distaste for Lucas growing as I felt my skin burn from his touch.

"A dance."

"Not happening," I growled as I began to walk away but he grabbed my gloved hand quickly.

"Don't make me beg," he smirked and I couldn't help smile.

"Well, it would make a refreshing difference."

He pulled me close in front of him as I kept my head turned, my back to his chest as he breathed deeply against my neck. "Please?" His voice chimed smugly against my skin sending waves of heat down me, I tried to stay cold, to not flinch, but his touch made me long for him the way I've never longed for anyone, and he knew that.

My yes was my silence, the way I didn't move away even though my spite told me I should and with as the tips of his mouth curled he pulled me around to face him, his hands gently guiding me as I put mine on his shoulders.

"You look beautiful." His smooth voice cut into me making me breathless and all I could do was swallow. Lucas moved in closer, moving to the side his lips close to my ear, his hot breath sending tingles down me. "Forgive me?"

"No," I stated breathlessly shutting my eyes so I didn't have to look at him.

Truthfully, I don't know if I ever could.

And I felt the warmth from his breath on my neck move. "Please?" His gentle voice echoed in my ears and I shook my head my eyes still shut while we swayed.

The music flowed around us as my eyes searched all the dancing people in gowns and suits.

I followed his footsteps, dancing was much harder than I thought it was, but he guided me. And it was just us, dancing, as we gently swayed my dress flaring around me. Our eyes met with each step we took, Spinning and swirling ignoring the world around us slowly disappearing.

My anger blazed with each passing moment, and it fueled the dance until the world around us had completely gone, with nothing left but us and the music in the background. I let myself smile at him.

And then the music stopped and I forced myself to step back. "There, one dance, now leave me be." His eyes flickered as he looked at me with a tight jaw and then he disappeared into the crowd, granting me my wish.

I brushed my dress off a bit despite the fact it was clean and swallowed down my guilt, there was no time for it. No time for puppy love, I had work to do.