Care to dance? (53)

I had nothing else to do but go down the stairs, I had seen I was clearly late to the party as everyone had already begun their activities and no one else was entering but me.

Thanks for that Lucas.

But as I went down my red gown trailing behind me, butterflies filled my stomach when I looked around my dress was very different to a lot of the others there. Most were plain simple, not a lot of other people had markings on their dresses apart from a few gems and even less had flowers and vines. But they were all beautiful in their special way.

Each one looked as if it was owned by a millionaire. But despite this, their eyes all followed me as I took each step down the stairs carefully. Being sure not to step on my dress.

Hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the ballroom was a golden chandelier, detailed spreading warm light down onto the dancers underneath it. And on the walls hung candles to match. The room was decorated with red, black and white flowers put into big vases scattered to the edge of the room. Beside them, food tables covered in most aesthetic foods like beautiful cakes and caviar.

And to the side of the room, under a little balcony in a comfy beautiful nook were the people playing classical dancing music that echoed in my mind like a Symphony.

Despite all the faces, I found the only one I cared about and as everyone's eyes trailed back to what they were doing, one person's eyes continued to trace my steps as I reached the last few stairs, Lucas.

He stood there, in a full black suit as the tips of his mouth curled, his hazel eyes dark under the chandelier's shadow but still blazing through his crimson mask, the colour of dark blood. No matter how much I hated to admit it, he looked horrifically handsome.

But as I reached the bottom of the stairs his smirk grew as he took the hand of a girl in a low cut blue dress and danced with her, his eyes still fixed on me.

I smirked back, I knew what he was doing, and as my eyes flickered around for a worthy partner I was stopped suddenly.

"Hello, Love." A husky voice chimed from behind me, it was British, unexpected.

I turned around to find a man in a crimson suit with a crimson button-up shirt, it was unbuttoned low as if he had no care for keeping up propper appearances, he had a deep black mask that covered one eye.

He had charcoal black hair, and dark fiery eyes, as if looking into them was like looking into hell itself, I found my breath cut off.

His jawline was sharp and his smirk even sharper.

"You made quite an entrance." He smiled charmingly, Never dropping eye contact once. His voice was smooth and a little harsh at the same time. The opposite of gentle. But there was still something alluring about it. "Would you give me the honour, of having your first dance?"

My face flushed, as he offered out his black-gloved hand, but as my eyes darted over to Lucas and I found him dancing, glaring at the man in front of me with a dark, hatred filled stare and my stomach twisted. But I ignored it, anything that rattled Lucas up was good right?

Though I had to remind myself this man was most likely a psychopath who sells human beings on the black market for a living, and if I wasn't careful I might become one.

"I would love to." I smile, taking his hand as he guided me before it was wrapping around me and we were dancing.

His arm was gentle around my waist like I was precious China, easy to break, but his face told another story, his smile had grown, I had noticed a couple of times that as my back turned to Lucas his eyes would flicker up as we danced, the malicious smirk on his face growing. Before his gaze would Land back on me, looking me up and down.

"You seem familiar." I smiled. "Do I know you?" And to the rhythm of the music, he dipped me and I was hovering over the air in his arm as he came close, the smile of his aftershave filling my senses, fresh and intoxicating.

"I doubt it." He chuckled deeply in my ear before pulling me back up into his arms and we were twirling again. He was a natural, like he had been doing this all my life, and I tried my best to seem the same.

"Oh that's strange, it's just you're face, I feel I've seen it before." I push. And truthfully he does seem familiar. Maybe it's because some of his features represent Lucas.

"Trust me, love," he was a bit harsher this time. "You haven't." And I brushed it off with another innocent smile, I wondered if he saw through it.

But as I looked around the ballroom while we swirled, I noticed something, a lot of eyes were on us, or rather, on him.

This mysterious man who could not be any older than 20 had so much attention, it seemed everyone knew him but me.

Was he my power? Had I found the key to this already? Was this Angelo? But surely no one would know if he was if no one has seen his face?

My eyes darted back to Lucas who was now striding towards us, if this was Angelo I couldn't miss my shot.

"I've grown tired of dancing," I whine. "Shall we get some air?"

His eyes shot down to me as he looks at me with suspicion then his smirk is back. Heavy and crushing. "I don't think that's a good idea love." He smiles, coming close to me as if he's about to share a secret. "Lucas might get jealous."

My breath fell short and fear shivered down me. And suddenly my hands were reaching for my knife.

Don't do anything stupid.

Hunter's words rang in my head.

I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised, the mafia was a multimillion-dollar business, of course, they would be one step ahead.

But he must have seen the flicker of dread in my face, because his smirk grew one last time, his hold on me less gentle.