Chapter 11 - Avengers, Assemble

Steve's POV

This was it, today was the big day. Fury had come by earlier and let me know some of the final details before we all meet today at 10:00 am. He also told me that Natasha and Bruce were now in the country and would be here at 10 as well.

To be honest, I am kind of excited, after everything Natasha told me, I think this has the potential to be a lot of fun and life-changing at the same time. I just hope these people also see this the same way.

I headed to the bathroom to start getting ready for the day. I had three hours to get to the meeting room so I figured I may as well get ready and then spend some time sketching this strange new city whilst I waited for time to pass.

Nat's POV

The trip back to New York was one of the most awkward trips I have ever encountered. I could tell that Bruce was scared of me, and he was silent for most of the flight. Regardless, we got here in the end.

I checked my watch and realized that we had two hours to get back to SHIELD headquarters. Great. In the past 48 hours, I haven't gotten more than a few broken hours of sleep and I was exhausted.

But I had to keep going, hopefully, this team meeting won't take too long. I hailed a taxi at the airport for both of us and instructed them to go to the headquarters to drop Bruce off and then I am going home for an hour before I come back here myself.

I arrived at my apartment 20 minutes later. Unlocking the door, I walked in, turning on all of the lights. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. Yep, I looked just as bad as I felt. I dumped all of my bags from the last 2 days on the counter and sighed. I was starving, so I decided to make myself some toast and then go and take a shower.

I looked at the time once I got out of the shower, I only had ten minutes before I had to go. Urgh, I guess I am not getting any sleep then. So instead, I applied a heavy coat of makeup to hide the bags under my eyes and grabbed my coat, towering heels, and sunglasses.

I have always believed that first impressions really count, and if I was stuck with this team, then I wanted them to know who I was from the start. They would know me as the fearless, dangerous, smart, sassy person that I am. Someone that you don't mess with, just the way I liked it.

I am the world's best assassin, and I am going to make sure that they respect me as one. I grabbed my phone and keys lastly before heading out the door, locking it behind me. I strutted down the hallway towards my black Corvette.

I was as ready as I'll ever be to meet the team and truly find out what I am working with. Sure, I knew most of them, but I have never had to deal with them personally in missions before, so this shall be interesting.

Fury's POV

Natasha did exactly what I thought she would, she recruited all of the Avengers quickly without too much hassle. I really have a lot of faith in the team I have put together. As long as they work together as a team, it should be a resounding success.

I had Tony and Bruce as the brains, Steve and Hulk as the Braun, and Natasha and Clint, the ones that could handle any situation with poise, true assassins for all of the technical work.

I had a meeting with them that was to start in five minutes. I had an assignment for them, something small. I wanted them to do it rather than any of my other agents because I wanted to see how they worked together. Make them realize how they work together.

Get to know each other's strengths and weaknesses, and learn how each other handles different situations. The key to the success of a team and I would be here to oversee it all. I had made arrangements with Tony Stark earlier, he had been kind enough to open his tower to the Avengers as of tomorrow.

It would help them become a better team in so many ways, they could train together, love together, get to know each other, be ready to go on missions together, and just generally be there when the world needs them.

I would let the Avengers know as part of the meeting today. I glanced at the time and decided to start making my way down to the meeting room. No doubt most of them were there already, waiting for me to walk in.

I had a few things on the agenda, letting them know about their mission, living arrangements, general team issues, SHIELD, and their involvement in it. I can't wait to see my vision come to life as I step through those doors to the team.

If it worked out the way I hoped, Captain Rogers would become the leader as he was born to lead, Natasha was strong and would become a co-leader of sorts to support the Captain in areas he wasn't familiar with, Tony would provide technical support to make plans happen, Bruce would assist Tony in his endeavors and Clint would bring support to all of them. Hopefully.

I strode along the corridors, the meeting room in my sights. As I neared the room I saw them all milling about, talking and getting to know one another. I walked into the room, shutting the door. I cleared my throat to get their attention.

"Avengers, Assemble," I instructed formally. They all quickly took a seat and waited for me to address them. This was going to work, the world couldn't afford it if it didn't.