Chapter 15 - Drenched

Nat's POV

I rushed into the room and gasped at what I saw. There standing in the middle of the room was none other than the man out of his time. Steve.

But the thing that was the most shocking was the fact that the corner of his shirt was lit on fire. I snapped out of my dazed state and rushed over to help him put it out. I grabbed the fire blanket that was in the kitchen and quickly used it to smother the flames, hence putting it out.

He glanced down at me gratefully.

"What on earth happened here!?" I exclaimed once I was sure the fire was out.

"Uh- I lent against the stove with my hip whilst I was looking around and it kind of ignited. These stoves aren't like the ones I am used to, they light on their own! And my shirt kind of caught fire." he admitted sorrowfully.

I burst out laughing, he was old! He looked at me confused, still dazed by the recent events. I'm sure he got the shock of his life!

That very moment I heard a weird grumbling coming from the roof. I glanced upright as it happened. But it was too late, there was nothing I could do.

The next thing we knew we were both getting drenched in water from the hidden sprinklers in the roof. We both shrieked in surprise as the jets dumped water on both of us. They turned it off after about ten seconds but it didn't matter.

We were now both soaked! Steve's shirt fire must've set off the fire protocols and now we were both dumped with water.

I got my breathing back under control and wiped the hair out of my eyes so that I could see properly. Steve's face reflected the shock he was feeling crystal clear. I giggled at the sight and before we both knew it, we were howling in laughter.

After we settled a little I started ringing some of the water out of my shirt. I was lucky that I was wearing a dark top or it could have been a lot worse!

"Is this how you greet all guests into your apartment?" I quipped still giggling. He smiled back at me, but I could tell he was embarrassed about the whole thing.

"Not usually." He mumbled as he started wringing his clothes out.

"It's ok, it is just water. Now let's get this mess cleaned up." I reassured him as I quickly located some towels to mop up the water. I threw one at him and before long we had the whole area dry again.

I threw the last of the wet towels in the wash and straightened myself up.

"All done!" I announced walking back over to Steve.

"I am sorry." He apologized but I waved him off.

"It's fine, don't worry. But do me a favor and be more careful around the stove, I won't be so forgiving if this happens again." I joked, earning a chuckle from Steve.

"You got it." He smiled and opened the door for me, leading me out of the apartment. I walked across the hall to my door. I leaned against it and addressed him.

"So, you're my new floormate?" I asked grinning as I continued. It wouldn't be so bad having him as a floormate. There are a lot worse people to be stuck with.

"I think so." He replied. I glanced at my watch and realized the time. I think he caught on because I tensed.

"We have our first mission soon and I've gotta get cleaned up before then. I'll see you later." I informed and as if on cue, my phone pinged. I looked at the message and found that it was from Fury. He had the details for the mission and we were leaving in 20 minutes!

"Speaking of which, we have to be on the roof in 20 minutes, I have to go and get ready!" I informed, rushing into my room and closing the door behind me. I could hear Steve do the same thing.

I rushed around, taking a quick shower and then throwing my catsuit. I quickly glanced at myself in the mirror, I was nearly ready. All I needed now was my weapons. I opened a drawer in the bottom of one of the cupboards, where I had stashed all of my weaponry.

I quickly strapped my guns and utility belt to myself. I did a quick check to ensure that all of the weapons were in their places and were loaded before I checked the time. I had 5 minutes to be on the roof. I rushed out of my room and toward the elevator waiting impatiently for it to arrive on my floor.

At that moment Steve popped out of his room in a dark blue suit. He looked so ho- no Natasha! But I must say his presence was comforting as it meant that I wasn't the only one that was cutting it close to get up to the roof in time. At that moment the door opened and we both stepped into the elevator.

"Do you have any information about the mission yet?" Steve asked me as we rode the elevator up to the roof.

"Nothing other than it will be a simple mission." I huffed as the elevator stopped at the correct floor. I didn't like the fact that I was kept in the dark about this mission. Usually, I don't care so much, but I was working with a team I had just met. I knew nothing about their strengths, weaknesses, or fighting styles, and they knew nothing about mine.

These are all flaws in our team that could end in disaster if I am not careful. I already knew about Clint's fighting style because I had worked with him for ten years, a fact that was somewhat comforting.

I glanced at the time as we both got out of the elevator. We had arrived with one minute to spare. Phew. I walked over to the rest of the group who were all with Fury. Once we were all there, Fury handed out the case files for the mission, finally.

I scanned the file, it was a simple mission. There was some criminal gang upstate that needed to be arrested and information brought back to SHIELD. Ok, you can do this Natasha.

"Get in, get out. Don't do anything stupid and I want them all back here alive," Fury instructed, looking at me sternly as he said the last bit. I rolled my eyes and got on the jet, the rest of the team following close behind.

I jumped into the pilot's seat and readied the jet for take-off. I quickly put in the coordinates, glancing back at the team.

They were all settled in their seats so I started the take-off protocols, lifting the plane off of the ground.

Once we were safely in the air, I turned on autopilot and joined the others in the back of the plane. We gathered around and started discussing our tactics and plans for the mission. This was going to be an interesting mission, it is either going to go well or badly. I just pray that we will all make it out of this unscathed.