Chapter 25 - Spot the Difference

Nat's POV

"See you all tomorrow at 6am!" I called as I exited the training room and wiped the sweat off my brow. Our entire team was improving so much over the last few days, as an individual and a team. 

The camping trip had been a blast, fishing, kayaking, swimming, and campfires just to name a few activities we did. The highlight for me though, was waking up in Steve's arms for the two nights that were were there for. 

Whether I liked to admit it or not, there was something about him that made me feel safe, respected and overall just amazing. The Red Room had taught me not to feel anything, but somehow Steve just made me want to break that rule, every single day that I am with him. 

I know it is wrong, but I can't help but think about him all the time and it is bugging me. This isn't how it's supposed to be, is it?

I pushed that thought aside and headed into my apartment. We had our first mission tomorrow and I think that between the camping trip and numerous team training sessions, we have grown strong and will now be able to work so much better during missions. 

I guess tomorrow will reflect how well our teambuilding week has gone. I just hope we do better than our previous missions. Last time was far to close of a call for my liking. 

Steve's POV *Time skip to the next morning*

I left my apartment hastily and headed towards the elevator. I was once again in my trademark Captain America suit and was ready for the mission ahead. 

Our training sessions as a group had really helped everyone and I was excited for the mission today. As far as I am concerned, this mission should be an easy one and the flight will only take half an hour at most. 

When I got to the top I saw all of the team in a circle surrounding Fury except for Tony, who was probably going to arrive spectacularly any second. 

As if on cue, I heard the roar of his jet repulsors as he landed beside us and exited his suit. I rolled my eyes at his entrance and directed my attention back to the group. 

I nodded to Fury and he started handing around the mission files. This time, we have to rescue hostages from a gang base not far from here and apprehend those responsible. Easy enough, although the thought of hostages was enough to make my stomach lurch. 

The last time I rescued hostages, I was in the army 70 years ago. I tried to push the horrible memories that invaded my head out and returned my facial expressions to the stoic, calm one that it had been moments ago. 

"Get your asses on that jet!" Fury finished and we all promptly got onto the jet. Clint took the piloting duties this time and the rest of us took seats towards the back of the plane. 

On the way there we formulated a plan to get the hostages out safely and persecute all involved, preferably without nearly getting blown up this time. 

......

The bump us the jet made contact with the ground was the signal for us to get up and exit. Unfortunately, there was no secluded place to land the jet within 2 kilometres of the base, so we landed just near it, and the base was immediately alerted of our presence. 

The second we stepped out of the jet, we were put under intense fire. We all rushed out and made our way as quickly as possible towards the base, whilst dodging the enemy attacks.

Tony was busy disarming all of the large machine guns and canons whilst the rest of us were disarming all of the guards on the ground. I was fighting easily 10 guards at once as they were all firing at me.