Chapter 21 - Ready or Not?

Steve's POV

Suit? Check. Shield? Check. I think I am ready to go! I took a deep breath and then walked out of my apartment, closing the door behind me. I got to the elevator and whilst I was waiting I adjusted my shield so that I was carrying it on my arm.

I was about to step into the elevator when someone yelled from behind me, causing me to jump slightly in surprise. I spun around and there stood a hysterical Nat.

"I did it! I scared the almighty Captain America!" She wheezed out between laughs. I smirked at her and got onto the elevator, still trying to return my heart rate to normal.

"Not funny Nat," I grumbled as I pushed the button for the roof.

"But it was!" She exclaimed as her laughter calmed down a little. I huffed and waited for the elevator to take us up.

"You are tense though. Nerves?" She asked matter-of-factly. But I wasn't about to let her know that she was indeed correct so I rolled my eyes.

"Nah, just excited," I replied causing her to scoff.

"Yeah right, it's ok to be nervous Steve but it'll be fine. We are a highly skilled team and many of us have done this stuff thousands of times before." She assured me as the elevator dinged, signaling our arrival at the roof.

We stepped out and not another word was said about our conversation in the elevator. But her words did help calm me a little. I just had to trust that my team would be able to get this mission done quickly and safely.

Nat's POV

We all got onto the jet but this time I let Clint fly. To be honest, he was the better flyer, not that I would let him know that but still. I also wanted to be more a part of the planning process for this mission because I know I am one of the only people with a lot of experience with difficult missions, from both sides of the fight.

We all buckled up for taking off and I busied myself with loading all of my weapons whilst Clint was getting us into the air. I could feel the rest of the boys staring at me whilst I pulled out various weapons from all over my body, checking, sharpening, and then loading them all.

"Do you need 3 boot knives and 2 pistols in each boot?" Steve asked in disbelief.

"You'll thank me when I save your ass with them." I retorted.

"You don't ever stop being cocky, do you?" Tony piped up sarcastically causing me to roll my eyes.

"Never." That was all I said. Just as I was about to go back to loading another pistol something caught my eye. I grabbed a knife that was laying on my leg and quickly threw it like a dart at the moving object. The knife narrowly missed Steve and Tony's heads and hit the target. Bullseye.

It clattered to the floor as I stood up quickly, flipped over my chair, and rushed over to the figure. Upon closer inspection, I realized that figure was a middle-aged bald man who now had my knife plunged deep into his chest.

"Who are you!?" I demanded as a wide-eyed Steve, Tony, and Bruce rushed over to us. The man said nothing so I grabbed him by his neck and squeezed it tight.

"WHO ARE YOU AND WHY ARE YOU HERE!?" I yelled at him causing his eyes to widen.

"Eric Callum." He wheezed out. I didn't recognize that name so I doubted that it was a SHIELD agent.

"Why are you here?" I asked again trying to figure out why we have a stowaway on this plane, although deep down I know exactly why he is here.

"H-hail H-h-hydra!" He wheezed out as my worst fears for this mission came true. At that, I grabbed his neck and snapped it, killing him instantly. I grabbed my knife from his chest and chucked the body into the back of the plane.