Chapter 41 - Secrets

Nat's POV

It had been another slow day at the Avengers Tower, Steve and I had stayed in bed watching movies most of the day. The last week had been like this, with Steve off missions for the next few weeks, he spent most of his time either with me or in the training room.

I could tell that he is getting antsy about it, but it for the best. Something that I have to remind him of daily. I felt him shift next to me and get up as the credits rolled on the fourth movie of the day.

"Where are you going?" I asked, suddenly concerned that there was somewhere we had to be that I had forgotten about.

"Nowhere important, just to the store to get some more oatmeal. Tony ate the last of it this morning and you know that it is my favourite." He said quickly, grabbing a jumper and jeans from his closet. It was a little strange how quickly he was leaving, but I decided not to pry, he no doubt needed something to keep his mind occupied.

"Well, while you're there, can you get me a packet of pasta shells? I am fairly sure it is my turn to cook dinner tonight, so I am going to make simple spaghetti." I asked and he nodded raising an eyebrow at me.

"As long as you don't burn it like you did last time." He teased and I rolled my eyes, it was pretty bad last time, I got distracted by a heated argument with Clint and forgot all about the pasta. We had to throw the whole pot out after that epic fail.

"I'll try." I quipped and he smirked, grabbing the keys to his motorcycle and leaving the apartment hastily.

"Ms. Romanoff, please report to director Fury's office." JARVIS piped up and I groaned, getting up and leaving Steve's apartment. I quickly got ready and rushed up to his office, hoping to get this over with as quick as possible and enjoy the rest of my day.

"Romanoff, I have a mission for you." Fury greeted and I inwardly groaned, there go my plans for today.

"I am sending you and Clint on an overnight mission to take down a few child traffickers that the NYC police and FBI have been trying to track down for weeks. Be efficient, but I need them here ALIVE for questioning, do I make myself clear?" He barked, not even giving me a chance to sit down.

"Crystal." I simply replied, still not pleased that my whole day just got overtaken, all though it was slightly less of a burden when I was doing it with my old partner and best friend.

"I have already emailed you the details, you leave in 10 minutes." I nodded curtly and rushed out of the room to get ready. It kind of sounded like one of those missions that the police could handle, but couldn't be bothered, and so called us in so that we could get the job done quickly.

Unknown POV

"We only have the day to make this plan a success." They barked down the phone and I nodded, I too wanting to make this plan go off without a hitch.

"Gather the supplies and make sure that no one finds out. If you tell a soul, I will personally hunt you down, and make you wish you were never born. Do you understand?" I gulped, I knew how powerful this person was and I knew they definitely could kill me if they wanted to and no one would ever find out.

"Of course." I squeaked, trying to sound as confident as possible.

"Good, make sure that everything is set up at the tower, kidnap her and get her here. Do not even give her the chance to fight back, you know how good of an assassin she is. There is no way that this will work if she doesn't come. I have not worked this hard for this long to have it all messed up." They roared into the phone.

"Yes boss."

Nat's POV

Everything went as smoothly as I had hoped, we were in an out of the base in under an hour. As always, Clint and I worked spectacularly together, and as per Fury's request, we dragged the unconscious leaders out of the Quinjet and towards the cells.

"Nat, you go and change. I can deal with these two." Clint said as we finished tying the men to their cells. I nodded, mostly wanting to see if Steve was back and tell him about my last minute mission.

I headed up to my room and opened the door, walking in. I immediately realised that something was different, wrong even. I glanced around the room and spotted a white folded piece of paper on my desk that I definitely hadn't left there.

Please change into something nice, I have a surprise for you.

~S.

I cocked an eyebrow, what kind of surprise did Steve have in store? And how did he manage to hide it from me? But, I quickly shimmied into a red knee length dress and left my hair to fall free over my shoulders.

I then sat on my bed and sighed, unsure of what I was supposed to do now. Steve's letter said nothing about what to do now.

Just then, I saw two shadows coming towards me out of the corner of my eye. Before I could even react, they wrapped their arms around my arms, legs and mouth, completely restraining me.

"Don't fight back, and your pretty little boyfriend stays safe."