Chapter 59 - WHAT!

Nat's POV 

It has 18 hours since my water broke and it has been AGONY! My respect for women with 2 or more children has suddenly grow exponentially. This hurts! Pain is practically a good friend to me, but labour is far worse than anything else I have experienced so far. 

I was sweating, panting and groaning but that didn't mean that the voices of my past experiences didn't rattle around my head. Pain is a sign of weakness, or don't show your pain

Luckily it was almost over. The pain had reached an all time high. I squeezed Steve's hand even harder. 

I was almost delirious by the time I heard that sound echo around the room. That sound. 

Like music to my ears. 

The sound of my baby's cries filled the room and I let out a giant breath, sinking into the sheets of the bed. 

I was so drained and exhausted that I almost didn't hear the doctor say 'congratulations, it's a very healthy little boy!'

I felt another pain shoot through my body, almost as strong as the last. I cried out again and Steve looked at me concerned. 

"Doctor, I still need to push." I groaned as the pain eased for a moment. 

"Don't worry, that's perfectly normal. It'll just be the pl-" I cut her off with another cry. 

"No, like I really need to push." I cried and the doctor looked up shocked. 

"Mary, can you get me the ultrasound machine, stat!" The doctor called to one of the nurses who promptly rushed out of the room and returned a moment later. 

Within a minute of rolling the wand around my stomach she gasped. 

"You're right! There's another baby!" She cried and rushed back into action again. 

Within half an hour, another baby's cries filled the room.

"It's a twin girl!" The doctor called, still baffled as they cleaned and swaddled the baby. 

The doctors handed Steve and I a child each once they were finished and I let a stray happy tear fall down my cheek. 

"What are we going to name them?" Steve whispered as he cradled our baby girl in his own arms.

"I've always liked James for a boy." I told him and he looked shocked. 

"After Bucky?" He asked and I nodded sweetly, he deserved that much. 

"Okay, and I have always liked Sophie as a girls name." He told me and I nodded. 

"James and Sophie Rogers. I think that's lovely." I confirmed, nuzzling James into my chest. The doctor nodded and wrote it down so that it could go on the records. 

"Why didn't we know about Sophie before now?" Steve asked the doctor and I looked up questioningly. 

"I believe it was due to the large amount of scar tissue from Ms Romanoff's sterilisation that was blocking our view to a twin that was at the back." The doctor relayed and I nodded slowly. 

"We'll leave you alone for some family time." The doctors and nurses all promptly swept out of the room. 

"How would've thought?" I laughed, breaking the silence. 

"Now we have two miracles to take care of." Steve sighed happily, sitting down softly beside me. 

"You know, I believe this means we both win." Steve looked up confused when I said this. 

"You know, the baby gender bet. You said girl, I said boy and we ended up with both!" I explained and he broke out into a smile. 

"So we did." Steve said, but was interrupted before he could continue by some loud knocking. 

Within seconds the entire team burst into the room with smiles on their faces. 

"Umm, Red? Capsicle? Am I seeing double?" Tony said as he observed both of the baby's that were sleeping in our arms. 

"Yes Tony. There was some issues with scarring which prevented visibility of the second baby." Steve quickly told them as the team watched on in awe. 

"Twins! No wonder you were so huge!" Sam cried as he made his way over to us, stopping short when he saw my glare. 

"No offense!" He quickly added, earning giggles from the others. 

"They are so tiny!" Clint cooed as he made his way over to us as well. 

"Congrats pal." Bucky said as he clapped Steve lightly on the back. 

James and Sophie then proceeded to be handed around the room to each of the team members as Steve hovered, as if ready to catch the babies if they were dropped or something. 

"Oh and before I forget, I have a present for the twins. Its-" But he was interrupted by his phone ringing. He answered and put it on speaker. Pepper's shrill voice echoed throughout the room. 

"TONY! WHY HAVE YOU TURNED THE COMMON ROOM INTO A RACING CAR TRACK!?" Tony paled at this. 

"Surprise." He muttered weakly in response. 

"YOU DIDN'T ANSWER MY QUESTION!" Pepper yelled into the phone. 

"It's a present for the twins!" He cried. I arched an eyebrow at him. 

"I wanted to buy them their first car, so they needed somewhere to race them." He explained and we could hear Pepper sigh through the phone. 

"Tony. They're barely 2 hours old!" Pepper groaned. "Just find another place for it other than the living room!" 

"Fine." He told Pepper as he ended the call. 

"Really Tony?" I groaned, not at all surprised by his antics.