Chapter 57- Expecting

Nat's POV 

I collapsed on the couch after the insanely long day that I have had. Like crazy long. This morning seemed like a year ago. So far today, Tony chaperoned me to the hospital to bring Steve home. 

Tony told me it was because he was already going somewhere anyway, but I know that he secretly wanted to make sure that Steve got home okay. Regardless of how much he tries to convince us otherwise, I know that Tony cares for Steve a lot, almost like a brother. 

Anyway, as I guided Steve out of the hospital and out into the sunshine, he was like a kid at Christmas. Steve's rehab had been rocky to start with, he had improved out of sight since. I almost have my Steve back. 

Then when we got home, Clint surprised us with a 'welcome home Steve' party. I know right? I thought that was Tony's thing! But it was really nice all the same. 

Then once the party was over, we had a 'family' movie night, which Steve and I have only just gotten back from. 

As I lay on the couch, basking in the silence, I let my mind wander back to the whirlwind that has been the last 5 months. 

5 months ago I got pregnant. 

4 months ago, Bruce betrayed us and Steve was beaten half to death. 

3 months ago, Steve woke from his coma and I told him I was pregnant. 

2 months ago, Steve started rehab. 

1 month ago, I started to show and was forced to wear baggy clothes to conceal my pregnancy from the team. 

And today, well, I am definitely pregnant and the reality of it all is sinking in. Especially now that Steve is home. 

"Let's get to bed sweetheart." Steve called as he excited the bathroom. I sighed, getting up far less gracefully than I did a few months ago. But it wasn't that that scared me, it was something else entirely. 

"What's up Nat. You look spooked." Steve asked, concern creeping into his voice as I clambered into bed, snuggling up to him. 

"I could hear my own footsteps." I answered, frowning at myself. 

"What?" Steve asked, clearly very confused. 

"I could hear my own footsteps. It scared me." I repeated, and now he was looking at me with an expression crossed between bewilderment and humour. 

"What do you mean your footsteps scared you?" He prompted, still looking very lost. 

"You don't understand. The Red Room, they- they taught me from a very young age not to make a sound with my footsteps. Ever. That's how you get caught. That's how you die. But I walked from the couch to here and I could hear my footsteps. I don't ever remember being able to do that before and it scared the crap out of me." I said, promptly bursting into tears. Gosh I hate these pregnancy hormones. 

"Oh Nat, come here." Steve cooed, pulling me closer as best he could, his strength is still lacking a little. 

"I'm sorry. It's silly. These hormones are driving me crazy." I mumbled into his chest, and I could feel him smile against my hair. 

"Nothing's ever silly when it comes to your wellbeing Nat. And hormones or not, I wouldn't have it any other way." He whispered. I smiled weakly at this, drying my tears before looking up at him. 

"You know, every day my stomach is getting larger and its getting harder to hide it from the rest of the team." I stated and Steve nodded in understanding.

"Let's tell them tomorrow." He replied and I nodded, settling into his chest again. 

"Oh and by the way, Bucky already knows." He murmured. I whipped my head up to look at him again in surprise. 

"What!" I cried. 

"Umm, yeah. He figured it out on his own. I swear!" I glared at him. 

"Since when?" 

"Uhh, about 2 months ago." He murmured. 

"WHAT! Why didn't you tell me Steve!" I shrieked, whacking him in the chest lightly. 

"I forgot." He mumbled guilty, looking like a two year old that was being told off by his parent. 

"Rogers! You are unbelievable. Do me a favour and don't forget to tell me things like this again, yeah?" 

"I promise." 

*Time skip to the next day*

Today, I decided to wear a tight top that I hadn't worn in months. If we were going to tell them today, there was no need to intentionally wear baggy clothes to hide it. 

Steve and I then made our way to the team common room for breakfast. Apparently Tony was cooking this morning, so it was no surprise when we walked into utter chaos. 

Clint was holding a fire extinguisher, seemingly putting out a fire on the stove whilst Tony howled, yelling about it being a waste of an hour that it took to make it. Sam, Bucky and Thor were beside themselves with laughter on the floor. 

It took about 10 minutes to restore order in the kitchen, and Clint ended up making scrambled eggs for everyone. 

Meanwhile, I had paraded around the kitchen, making no attempt to conceal my baby bump and yet none of the team had even batted an eyelid. Boys. Honestly. I could whack them over the head with the news and they would still probably be none the wiser. 

It wasn't until I unceremoniously rose from my chair after breakfast that Sam piped up. 

"Gee Nat. You've put on a bit of weight recently. You okay?" He asked and I rolled my eyes at his utter lack of intelligence. 

"That's not fat..." Clint started, before faltering and going pale. The rest of the teams eyes were drawn to my stomach and slowly, one by one, their eyes widened in realisation. 

"I'm sorry. What am I missing?" Sam asked, very confused. 

"Yes, I'm okay Sam. More than okay. Steve and I are expecting." I softly replied.

"Expecting what?" He asked, still confused. See, told you. Idiots. 

"A baby, dumbass!" Bucky cried. 

"Oh. Wait, WHAT! How!?" Sam cried and I arched an eyebrow at him. 

"Well, usually a guy meets a girl and they-" I started. 

"Wait! No, that's not what I meant!" He cried, covering his ears and blushing. "I meant, how far along are you? And why didn't we know about it before now?" 

"I'm 5 months along and I didn't want to tell you all without Steve here too." I quickly told them, as the rest of the team, (other than Bucky, Steve and myself) still looked dumbfounded. 

"Well, uh, congrats Red." Tony called, being one of the first to overcome the shock.