Chapter 48 - Decorations

Steve's POV

"Nat honey, wake up! We are going Christmas shopping and you promised that you would come!" I excitedly shouted as I shook her gently. Truth be told, it took Tony and I an hour, a bottle of vodka and several puppy dog eyes before we could get her to agree to come, but she finally did. 

She kept saying that she had never celebrated Christmas before and that she saw no reason to start now. But I am not having it. I will make this the best Christmas she has ever had, because no one deserves to go without the joy of it all. 

And between Tony and I, this Christmas was going to be amazing. But an amazing Christmas needs lots of decorations and presents, so that is exactly what we are about to go shopping for. 

"URGH! It is 6 o'clock! Why did I agree to this?" Nat moaned as she turned over, trying to get away from me. 

"Because you wove me!" I told her in a childish sing-song voice, knowing that any minute now she would cave and we could get on our way to having a blast shopping. 

Nat's POV

20 minutes later, I was sitting in a car, half asleep and trying my hardest to drown out Tony's ridiculously cheesy Christmas songs. I must say though, I definitely wasn't getting any sleep in the car with Steve and Tony singing Jingle Bells like dying cats in the front seat.

"Do you have to sing so high pitched?" Pepper groaned next to me, clearly she felt the same way I do. 

"I'd like to see you do any better!" Steve challenged and we smirked. 

"Challenge excepted. JARVIS, please play 'All I want for Christmas is you'!" I called, ready to show the boys whose boss. They had heard me sing before, and I had heard Pepper when she was cooking, so I was fairly confident that we could do a thousand times better than the boys. 

"ALL I WANT FOR CHIRSTMAS, IS YOUUUUUUUUUU!" We finished in harmony and the boys were blown away. 

"You two should join the carollers or something, yeesh!" Tony called as we arrived at the mall.

"Black Widow carolling? Over my dead body!" I called as I got out of the car which earned eye rolls from Steve and Tony. 

"We have to go to the toy emporium first!" Tony cried, making a mad dash over to the store before we had a chance to argue.

"How old are we?" I mumbled as I walked into the department store. I glanced around the massive store and I was blown away. I had never in my life been to a place like this, the Red Room would never allow it, and this was truly something else. 

As far as I could see, the shelves were packed with different toys of various amazing colours from top to bottom. Tony ran over to the superhero section and immediately grabbed a small ironman figurine in glee. I started mock clapping which earned confused looks from the others.

"What, it must've taken a genius to figure out how to put a man with such a big ego into such a tiny figurine. I would've thought a even a 20 foot one wouldn't have been able to fit your massive head into it." I explained and Pepper coughed to stifle her laugh.

"Ouch, red." He replied sulkily as Pepper couldn't contain herself any longer and she burst out laughing. 

"Couldn't have said it better myself." She called as she went over to check out the baubles. Steve followed her but froze suddenly, causing me to look over and follow his line of sight. There stood some small diecast car models and I frowned, making my way over to him. 

"What is it?" I asked as I rubbed his back. 

"These cars, all of the kids used to have them, but with my medical bills and my father passing away, we never had the money to get one. The green one was always my favourite and the one that I always wished I could have every birthday and Christmas." He said, casting one last sad look at the cars before moving on to help Pepper pick out the decorations for the mansion. I waited until Steve had turned and inspected the car, getting a good idea about what I could do. 

40 minutes later, we exited the store, all of our hands full with decorations. We could've finished 30 minutes before that, but Tony had gotten into an argument with Steve about what star should go on the tree and they had spent forever acting like little children. In the end we got both, but I knew that Tony would get his way eventually. 

"Now we just have to get presents!" Tony cried, almost dropping the packet of lights he was holding as he jumped about in excitement. 

"Hold up Tony. We are going to the car to drop these off and then we are getting breakfast." Pepper called and he sighed but nodded anyway. Anyone would think that he was 5 years old. 

At least I know the perfect thing that I am getting Steve this year for Christmas. I know how much Christmas means to him, and I have full intentions of making this a great Christmas for my husband. 

That's the end of my poor attempt at humour. I promise.🤣