Chapter 17 - Training

Steve's POV

I woke up early and decided that I could use some time in the training room. I had noticed that some of my punches were a little off and needed work. I changed into my activewear and headed out the door.

I had slept like a log last night for the mission had tired me out. I am still not used to this new way of life, the weapons and security systems that are being used these days are nothing like I have ever seen before.

I rode the elevator down to the training room and was shocked when I realized I wasn't alone. There sitting in the shooting range was none other than the flame-haired beauty. Shot after shot she made, hitting the bullseye every time without fail. I walked over to her to admire her work.

She mustn't have heard me enter the training room over the continuous gunshots because when I walked up behind her, she spun around and pointed her handgun right at my head. I took a step back, shocked, and held my hands up in surrender.

"Hey Nat, it is just me," I said, shock seeping into my voice and making it unsteady. Her eyes widened as she realized who it was and she quickly lowered her gun.

"Sorry, I didn't hear you enter and my instincts kicked in." She admitted shamefully.

"It's ok, I should have known better than to sneak up behind you," I reassured her before walking over the punching bags. I started punching them with all my might, trying to perfect each blow.

Nat must've decided that she had enough of target practice because she came over to me, watching my movements closely. After about a minute of her just staring at me, I stopped and looked at her properly, arching an eyebrow.

"Every time I see you in training, you are always punching those bags. Do you ever practice anything else?" She asked, her face showing no emotion. I took a minute to consider her question. The punching bags were always my favorite because I felt I could let all my emotions out onto it, but truthfully, I never really use much else.

"Not since I got out of the ice," I responded, waiting for her to give meaning behind her question.

"You can't punch your way out of everything Rogers." She answered plainly, before going over to the sparring arena.

"Oh really, what do you have in mind?" I playfully inquired, smirking at her.

"Get over here, show me what you got." She challenged, folding her arms over her chest. I grinned at her and joined her in the arena. I was quick to charge at her, trying to catch her off guard. But she simply blocked my punches effortlessly, not even moving from where she was standing.

Suddenly she pounced at me, swing around and taking my feet clean out from beneath me. I grunted as I collided face-first with the mat. The next thing I knew, she was on top of me, holding my arms and legs down.

"Your legs are your weakness Captain, don't let people use it against you." She smirked, rolling off of me and standing up again. I followed her actions and got back into a fighting stance. This time I made sure my legs weren't left unguarded, but this time she went for my neck.

She used my shoulders as a vault to flip me back onto the ground.

"You take my tips too literally. You must still cover the rest of your body, regardless of how much of a weakness your legs are. You must learn to find a balance." She quipped, standing above me.

This continued for ages, mostly me ending up with my face in the mat, however, there were a few times where I overpowered her. Again, she sprung at me, somehow managing to end up on my shoulders. The next thing I knew she used all of her weight and flipped me over onto my back.

She fell with me, however, to prevent me from getting hurt.

"Where on earth did that come from?" I wheezed as she untangled herself from me. I sat up but didn't bother to stand, as did she.

"It is my trademark move. The best move I ever learned in the Red Room. Had I have not decided to fall with you, you would be knocked out for a few hours at least." She informed, devilishly grinning at me. I raised my eyebrows in recognition.

"Well, I think I am done for the day," I said, getting up and offering a hand to her. She denied it however and got up herself.

"Same time tomorrow?" She asked as she exited the arena and gathered her belongings.

"Sure thing," I replied grinning. Training with her today had been a blast and the prospect of doing it again tomorrow sounded intriguing.

"Good, you could use some practice." She quipped cheekily, smirking and sauntering out of the room. I huffed at her comment and started to gather my belongings. She was quite the tease.

I was pulled from my thoughts when a robotic voice echoed through the now empty training room.

"I am JARVIS, Mr. Stark's artificial intelligence system. Mr. Stark wishes for your presence in a housewarming party at 1:00 pm this afternoon." He informed. I glanced at my watch and realized that I have about an hour and a half before then.

"Tony has artificial intelligence running the house?" I quipped, shocked at the voice. Back in the 40s- gosh that sounds weird- artificial intelligence was nothing but a sci-fi fantasy and for it to be running a house was truly strange. I don't know how I will get used to all of this new technology.

I better go and wash up though. I want to look good for this party and certainly not late. Standing in the training room lost in my thoughts was not going to get me ready for the party, that's for sure.

I walked back along the corridor and towards the lift, heading back to my apartment. A party was the last thing that I felt like going to, but it seemed I didn't have a choice in the matter.

I guess it will be nice to catch up with the others anyway and find out how the others are settling in. We never really got much more than half an hour of meeting each other when we were all thrown on a mission together.

I took a shower and picked out some nicer clothes. I had no idea what this party would be like and I would rather be overdressed than underdressed. I ended up deciding on a medium between the two, a dark blue dress shirt and black trousers.

Hopefully, the party isn't too extravagant, sparring with Nat this morning was tiring and I don't know if I can back it up with a massive party.