Chapter 53 - Wake Up!

Nat's POV

It had been a month. 

A month since Bruce took nearly everything that mattered to me, away. 

A month since a bruised, broken and bloody Steve fell into a coma. 

A month since I was read the condemning list of Steve's injuries. 

Compound fractures in his legs, broken right arm in two different places, concussion, 6 broken ribs, punctured lung, crushed cheek bone, dislocated jaw, cracked pelvis, 280 external stitches, and internal bleeding just to name a few. 

I have visited him in hospital every single day, staying the entire time during visitor hours before a staff member or one of my teammates kicks me out and drags me home. 

All of the days have slowly merged into one, as I repeat the same thing everyday; wake up, get changed, go to the hospital, tell Steve about everything and anything, usually cry as I hold him, get kicked out, go home, collapse in exhaustion. 

Day in, day out. 

The doctors say that it is a reaction to a major stress put on his body and that had he not have had the serum, he would've died by now. 

But despite that, and I don't know if my extreme tiredness contributing, I think that Steve is looking stronger and stronger everyday. 

Like last week, when he twitched his finger or two days ago when it felt like he had tried to squeeze my hand. 

Usually one of the Avengers popped in some time during the day, except for the traitor of course, who has been placed under max security until we can figure out what to do with him. 

Today it was Sam, who was currently boring me to death with some new stats and upgrades he was considering to do to his wings. 

"You know, the way you are acting, I think that Steve is more engaged in this conversation than you are Red, and that is saying something considering he's in a coma." Sam said finally, the mention of Steve's name snapped me out of my thoughts. 

"O-oh, sorry." I replied, my eyes flickering back to Steve's unconscious body. 

"Look, I really should be getting back. I think Tony is coming tomorrow around 11." Was all Sam said as he left the room quickly. I could tell that he was hurting as well, I guess it was his best friend that he had lost as well. 

I tried to be compassionate, help him out, but frankly I didn't have the energy. Everything I had was being sapped into hoping, praying even, that Steve would get better and be mine again. 

I sighed, moving from one of the uncomfortable plastic chairs to sit on the bed, letting the tears I had been holding in during Sam's visit fall onto my cheeks. At this point, I was surprised I even had any tears left. 

I grabbed hold of his bandaged hand lightly, and starting whispering to him. I almost felt bad about telling him this in his sleep, rather than to his face, but have to get it off my chest. I couldn't bare the secret anymore. 

"Steve, I-" I choked on the words, struggling to get out what I was trying to say. 

"You know how we wished upon a Christmas miracle? How I said it could never happen? Well I-"

"I'm p-pregnant." Was the last thing I could out before sobs consumed me. 

"We made a miracle. But I need you here. I need your cuddles and kisses. I need you to rub my back when I get morning sickness. I need you to hold my hand at doctors appointments. I need you to come shopping for baby clothes. I need you to help paint the nursery. I need your reassurance that everything is going to be ok. I need you." I almost pleaded. 

"You have me." Came a weak voice and my head snapped up in response. If I wasn't already sobbing, I certainly would be now. 

His eyes. 

His baby blue eyes. 

They were staring back at me.

"Steve." Was all I said in a tiny voice. It was like I was frozen. 

I slowly regained my senses and positively beamed, falling very carefully into his arms. We stayed like that for what felt like hours, but was mere minutes. 

"I-I have to get a doctor. Hold on!" I exclaimed, jumping up and racing out of the room, to find the nearest doctor and let them know. 

I ran back into the room, followed very quickly by a doctor, half expecting it to be a fever dream and I would run into the room to find my still unconscious husband. 

But I didn't. He was still there, offering me a small smile. The doctors eyes widened in alarm as they came into the room soon after, and quickly got to work unhooking some of the wires, and doing all the standard tests. 

When it was all done, I just sat there, in complete shock. 

"Nat, please calm down. Pregnant women aren't meant to get too worked up." He told me as the doctor finished up and left. 

"Stop getting hurt and scaring me and I will." I retorted and he grinned weakly. 

"Touché. Do the rest of the team know?" I shook my head in response. 

"No, there was no way I was telling them until I told you. Although I think the team are starting to have a sneaking suspicion. I did nearly throw up in front of Bucky the other day." I quickly relayed and his eyes widened at the mention of Bucky. 

"Buck?" Was all he said and I nodded. 

"Mental recalibration. Forcefully." Was all I said as I smirk made its way slowly onto my face. 

"I remember something about that. I pole I believe?" He replied with the same level of cheek. 

"Something like that. Anyway, he is doing better now, I think the team have even started talking to him, he is staying with all the Avengers after all. He comes by every day or two." I relayed and a smile settled onto Steve's face. There was also a flash of relief across his eyes as I said this, I knew how much James meant to him. The team do to, I believe that is the only reason they are giving him the time of day instead of making him join Bruce in the super Max prison. 

At this, the entire team burst through the door. In all my shock, I had completely forgotten that I had sent a message to the team when I went to get the doctor and now they had all arrived to see for themselves if he really was ok. 

"He lives!" Tony called triumphantly as he waltzed into the room, quickly followed by the rest of the rowdy boys. 

"He does. Just." Replied Steve sarcastically, groaning as he tried to move a little in his bed, before giving up as the pain shot through him. 

"You gave us a scare, man." Sam spoke up as he made his way over. 

"So I've been told." Steve replied, his tone still dripping with sarcasm and sass. 

I smiled at the interaction. I have my Steve back. My sassy, sarcastic, amazing, Steve.