Chapter 56 - Rehab Sucks

Steve's POV

"You know, if I get another nurse threaten to boycott your room because you are ordering them around, I'm gonna flip." Nat announced as she strode into the room, plopping down beside me on the bed. 

Yeah, that's probably true. I have been getting antsy, particularly now that I am well on the mend. I no longer feel pain when I sit up or move around, but the doctors are insisting that I have to stay in bed still. 

I know that Nat and the team have been trying to keep my mind off it, but there is only so much that can be done in the way of distractions to keep my mind occupied. 

I just want to get back to normal so that I can be the best husband and soon-to-be dad that I can to my 3 months pregnant wife. She says that the morning sickness has eased, but I still want to be there for her. 

I can't wait until we can meet our little one. I mean, I know that is a long way off and there is going to be a lot of challenges in between now and then, but nevertheless, I am excited and giddy beyond belief. 

"Fine." I replied, huffing and crossing my arms over my chest. 

"I have some good news!" Nat explained as she nestled in beside me. I hummed in response. 

"I just saw Dr Anne in the corridor and she said that there are plans to get you up and about today." 

"Really!" I exclaimed. It was like all of my Christmases had come at once. Once I'm walking, it won't be long before I can get out of here and back to my life!

As if on cue, there was a knock on the door and three nurses walked in holding a walking frame and belt. I smiled at them and Nat moved off of the bed to give the nurses space to work. 

The nurses were insanely efficient and before I knew it, I was upright and on my feet. It hurt. Like a lot. I realised just how stiff I was and how much my balance had been affected. 

I had one nurse standing either side of me, holding handles on the special belt to keep me balanced, whilst the other stood in front of me, giving me directions. Nat was also up, holding my hand tightly. 

The nurses told me to stand still, then to shift from one foot to the other, then walk to the door and back. Such simple mundane tasks. And yet, by the time I had done two laps of the room, I was exhausted and out of breath. 

This wasn't how it was supposed to go. This is not my first time through rehab, by any stretch of the imagination, but it was never this hard. I guess I have never gotten injured this bad before. Not even the first time the Winter Soldier beat me up on that wretched Heli carrier. 

Usually by now, I am at least walking unassisted, but as I stood there puffing with two nurses either side still holding onto me firmly, I couldn't get it right. 

We did one more lap of the room before the nurses placed me back on the bed and unhooked the belt, leaving the room swiftly. 

I groaned as I sunk into the pillows again, closing my eyes in defeat. 

"You did well." Nat soothed as she sat down beside me, kissing my forehead lightly. 

"Don't lie." I grumbled back. 

"Excuse me?" 

"Don't lie." I repeated, completely deflated. "Don't pretend that it was good. I was pathetic. Weak. I may as well just give u-"

"Now you listen here." Nat interrupted in a dangerously low voice that made me stop and look up at her instantly in surprise. 

"Don't you dare give up on me now. Don't you dare. When has my strong, stubborn, super soldier ever given up?" She asked lowly, daring me to respond. 

But I didn't. I value my life, thanks anyway. So, I remained silent as she continued. 

"That's what I thought. So you are going to get your ass up again tomorrow and every other day until your back to your normal capabilities again. I need you. We need you. Regardless of how weak it makes you feel now. Besides if you don't, I will personally beat your ass." She finished and I sighed, knowing that she was right. 

Doesn't make me feel any less weak though. 

Rehab really does suck, no matter who you are.