Chapter 44 - Vacation

Nat's POV

"STEVE! Where did you put our beach towels!?" Nat yelled from her room across the hall to Steve's. 

"They're in the back of your closet!" He yelled back, as he too hurriedly threw stuff into bags. 

Tony had announced that they were going on vacation to his private island for the weekend and has given them 25 minutes to be on the roof, completely packed and ready to go. 

That was 20 minutes ago, which meant they had 5 minutes to be on the roof, ready to go. I was nearly finished, as I am used to running on a tight schedule, but it had taken me longer than expected as packing for a beach vacation wasn't really something that I was in the habit of doing. 

Truth be told, I have never been to a beach, to swim and relax anyway. I don't think that killing KGB's enemies really counts as 'going to the beach'. In fact, it took me nearly 10 minutes to find swimmers that actually fit me, and another 10 to track down sunscreen, towels, hats, sandals, and some loose, cool clothes. 

But, I was nearly finished, and going by the footsteps that I could hear fast approaching, so was Steve. 

"You packed?" He asked as he strode into the room, one arm laden with a suitcase. I nodded in reply, zipping up my own suitcase and grabbing it up off of my bed. 

Truth be told, I think this was all Pepper's planning, it is very unlike Tony to plan something as nice as this and not forget a thousand things in the process. It is very like Tony, however, to forget that Pepper planned this a month ago and then forgot to tell us that it was happening until she reminded him half an hour before take off. 

We rushed out the hallway and into the lift, sighing as the doors closed firmly behind us. Steve wrapped his free arm around me as we quickly ascended towards the roof and he kissed my hand as we reached a stop. 

I glanced down at my hand a sighed, staring at the beautiful ring that was snuggly on my ring finger. I am still not completely acceptant of the fact that he had proposed and was now my fiancé, it just all seems to good to be true.  

I was pulled from my thoughts when Steve guided me out of the elevator, to where all of the guys and Pepper were standing there, getting ready to board. Tony had also told us that Pepper was coming, saying something about she worked too hard, but the truth is, he can't function without her. He is probably the most unorganised, egotistical person alive. 

We all boarded and took off, exactly on schedule. Clint was flying as per usual, but I opted to sit in the back this time instead of resuming my usual spot as co-pilot. Partly because I wanted to be near Steve, and partly because it was entertaining to watch Tony stutter and flounder when Pepper realises that he left all of the most essential stuff behind and packed everything he didn't need. 

"Why did we need to pack another Nano-suit! You have three! Did you even remember the sunscreen?" Pepper quizzed as she rummaged around in their bag looking for her phone. Tony paled and Pepper glared at him, getting up and walking off before she lost her mind at him. 

"I packed extra!" Clint called from the pilot's chair and I laughed at the memory of last time he didn't. 

"What's so funny?" Thor and Steve quizzed and I smiled broadly, as Clint simultaneously groaned, catching onto my train of thought. 

"WELL, don't I have a story for you!" I started, my grin getting wider, "The last time that Clint took his family and I to the beach, Laura had reminded Clint to get the sunscreen on our way out the door. He assured her multiple times that he had packed it, but when we got there, the sunscreen magically 'disappeared'. Laura was so mad, she went and brought sunscreen but wouldn't let Clint have any. He got so burnt that day, he could've rivalled a tomato. He yelped and squealed every time he moved and Laura and I taunted him to no end about it." 

"It took me a whole week before I could sleep again!" Clint interjected into my story and the rest of the team cracked up. 

"But it worked, ever since, I have never seen you go to the beach without enough sunscreen to sink a battleship." I finished and everyone, bar Clint, was in a fit of giggles. 

"No Nat don't give her any ideas!" Tony groaned quietly, hoping that Pepper wouldn't hear him. But it failed. 

"Lucky for you Tony, your whining rivals a 2 year old, I don't think I can put up with that for an entire week as Clint suggests." Pepper retorted and Tony smiled triumphantly. 

"Love you too honey." Tony replied causing Clint, Thor and Bruce to groan.

"You two are worse than the actual soon-to-be weds! Get married already!" Clint called out from the pilots seat, as Pepper and Tony turned bright red. We all laughed at their reactions and I squeezed Steve's warm hand, the one that I had been holding ever since we got on the elevator.

 "Be careful, Steve and Nat are pretty bad!" Tony retorted, whilst trying to hide his giddiness from the rest of us. They had been dating for quite a while, and Pepper had already confided in me that she was waiting any day now for when he would pop the question. But alas, we are still waiting for that to happen. For a man with such a big ego, he can be a real wimp at times. 

"Buckle up people! We are landing in 5!" Clint called from the front as he started flicking switches on the control panel.

5 minutes later, we were standing in the warm sand, salt air filling our nostrils, admiring Tony's island. It truly was spectacular, just like the rest Tony's property. There was a mansion standing atop a small hill, surrounded by the sand and crystal clear, turquoise ocean. If this is what a true beach holiday is like, I need to have one of these more often. 

"Meet you down at the shore for a volleyball match in 10 minutes!" Tony cried as he ran up the hill towards the mansion, wearing his boardshorts and overly bright, Hawaiian themed summer shirt. 

We all laughed at his instincts, but followed closely behind, as I was eager to show these guys who's boss in a volleyball match!