School

The sun blared through my window. I wanted to groan, almost like it would be a way to make it disappear.  My voice got stuck in my throat creating a gurgling noise and tickling the back of my throat. I coughed and sat up. I sat hunched over with my body shaking as I made violent coughing noises. My mum busted in and looked at me, I looked at her hand and noticed she had already grabbed a drink of water. She looked at me with a soft caring smile. It showed her dimples and creased her eyes. She sat down on my bed, rubbing my back while handing me the cup. I thanked her and drank it quickly. I sighed when I finished, taking deep breathes.

"You need to be careful." She mused. I looked at her and stuck out my tongue.

"It happens nearly every morning. Trust me, I don't have time for careful." She laughed and walked to my door.

"School in an hour," I quickly averted my gaze as I realised today. "You will be getting your tests after lunch." She walked back over and cupped my cheeks. "I don't care what you are. You will always be my daughter, no one else's. Understand?" I nodded. "Good," She walked back to the door. "Great dressed, and come down for breakfast." I nodded again.

She left. I stared at the spot she was previously. Did she really mean that? Or was it a coping mechanism. For me? or her? I stood up and walked to my wardrobe. I opened it up and eyed the nail as I chose something to wear.

I chose my outfit and began to get ready. I didn't really want to wear something that bright but I had to represent my faction. At least it was comfy. I walked downstairs as I kept smoothing down the shirt. Maybe I should've chose a different shirt, this one was too tight. Mum looked at me, looking away from the stove. "Don't you look lovely." She noticed my struggle with the shirt and chuckled. "Bring me my belt." She said pointing to the black leather belt on the back of the chair. I grabbed it and handed it to her. She stuffed the shirt into my jeans and tightened the belt keeping it in place.

"I'm 16, I could've done that." She smiled at me.

"I'm your mother, I remember when dressing you was my job." I laughed and sat down at the round table. She placed toast and eggs in front of me. I looked at the toast and she smiled. "Don't worry, I make it myself now. I don't want you to get hurt again." I smiled slightly and began to eat. A knock on our door got mum to turn and answer it. She pushed my shoulder down slightly making me sit back in the seat. I hadn't realised I had stood up to grab the door.

"Hi Mrs. L/n." My mother beamed as she ushered someone in.

"Beatrice, it's good to see you." I stood up and grabbed my messenger bag.

"Thanks for breakfast mama." I said kissing her on the cheek. The old nickname 'mama' flying out before I could stop it. Tris and I bounded out of the house and down the steps as we began walking the way towards school. "You were earlier than usual." I mentioned. "Miss me that much did ya?" She lightly shoved my shoulder making me chuckle.