26

My hand stung as I looked down at it, and back to Tris. It was my hand that had marked her face with a blotched red mark. But when? I don't remember climbing off of the bunk, but my side had began to hurt, so I must have done something sudden. I dropped my hand as she looked back at me. "You're really going to defend him?" I shrugged.

"I guess I am." Tris scoffs as Christina and Will look at me.

"Who would've of thought you would defend our attacker? Look at your face Y/n! That isn't an accident. Him, Peter and Drew all tried to do that." I nod.

"You might as well had been with them. Half are these are for me helping you," I look around her skin, perfectly polished as if she was a doll. "Yet you have nothing."

"I do have something, they groped me, Y/n," Her voice became smaller as her eyes became pleading. I leaned in.

"Groped? Why is that my business? You weren't about to be sexually assaulted, or made to think you were so you sit up at night wondering about it, what would have happened, how would it have happened, would I hate myself afterwards, or would I be able to push through it. You and I, Tris, are not the same, you might think you can get your way with a pity party, but I don't give a fuck." I pulled back. "This has became none of business as well, but, I think you telling him to stay away or that you were going to kill him was enough. You didn't need to insult him like that."

"An attacker shouldn't be insulted? O-"

"Did I say I was done talking?" I snapped. "He said he was sorry, was probably feeling threatened that you were climbing fast through the ranks, and I wasn't going anywhere," I looked over my shoulder and Al nodded. "Let's be honest Tris, how many times have you thought about killing me? One time? Fifty times? Cause I have thought about killing you at least three times now. Al is just trying to survive, while you..." I think back to the quarrel in the hallway, her telling me she fancied Four, and all of the stuff she does to get his attention. And yet, I was always there first.

Her face whitens as she realises where I was going. "Although I must be wrong, he hasn't recognised you enough to do anything for you, isn't that right?" I clapped my hands as I looked at my bunk. "Now, I'm fucking shattered, I'm going to go to bed, as well as the rest of you, Tris isn't going to think of ways to make people like her, Will and Christina will do what they always do because they are perfect and I love them. And Al, isn't going to cry tonight." I looked at everyone. "Good? Good!"

----------------------------------------

I sit up, my shoulder aching. I hold it and rub my neck. It's only early morning, or maybe it isn't even morning, I don't know if I've slept. I climb down the ladder, avoiding the squeaky rungs. I rub the back of my neck as I look around at everyone. They all sleep soundly, even Al. I walk out of the dorms, feeling the cold climb up my feet and into my ankles. I rub one with the other before continuing to walk.

I yawned as I walked to the Pit. Standing at the banisters. I felt them creak and push under my weight, some debris falling. "Be careful." I look over my shoulder, my eyes taking a moment to adjust to the dark.

"I always am." I croaked. My voice was raspy, and clearly hadn't been used in a while. So, maybe it was early day. Four leans on the one beside me, causing it to groan but not to push out. I think back to what I said to Tris, how many times she has thought about killing me. "Four," He hums. "Do you believe that when you die, it was time?" I look up at him. He takes a breath.

"Sometimes, if you had died last night, then no."

"But I didn't."

"But you didn't." We sit quiet for a few minutes, just the sound of the banisters resting, and sometimes the small pittar-patter of water on glass, the sound of rain trying to start. "How come you're up?"