Rankings

"I want everyone in The Pit. Two minutes." I sat up groggily and looked towards the door where Four used to stand. I sighed and jumped down off my bed feeling tingling go up through my heels making me wince. I stretched my arms and my back as I went to the bathroom.

There were some people who seemed to get up early and were finishing up in the showers. I sighed and looked at the floor as I walked towards a toilet. Just close your eyes and no one is there. I closed my eyes and done my business before finishing up. I walked back out after washing my hands. Some people were already dressed and ready to leave.

The beds were quite uncomfortable from the metal framing, you could feel it dig into your back through the thin mattress. I had to be quick, but I wasn't too bothered about it. I grabbed a black tank top with grey jeans and a belt.

I quickly changed not really caring if anyone saw me, it was too early to care about anything. I scratched at my neck as I grabbed my jacket before leaving. I felt a hand on my shoulder. I didn't turn around as I recognised the petite hand.

"Hey Tris." I groaned. She smiled at me as we walked towards The Pit.

"Hi." She took a look at me. Her eyes softened as she walked slower. "Are you okay?" I shook my head.

"Tired." She nodded.

"You must've been. One of the first to sleep, the last to wake." I nodded. We walked into The Pit where there was a board and Four standing beside it. Eric was also there but I payed no mind.

"There are two stages of training. The first is physical. Push your bodies to the breaking point and you'll master the methods of combat," I raised an eyebrow with interest as I listened. I never thought I was a good fighter, I won most fights but I think that is just because of Amity attitudes. "The second, is mental. Again, breaking point. You'll face your worst fears and conquer them unless they get you first," What are my worst fears? I would definitely have one with falling. But what would the rest be? "You'll be trained separately from the Dauntless born, but you'll be ranked together. After initiations, rankings will determine what jobs you move into. Leadership, guarding the fence, or keeping the factionless from killing each other."

"The rankings will also determine who is cut." Eric chimed in. I raised an eyebrow.

"Cut?" Christina asked.

"At the end of each stage of training, the lowest-ranking initiates  will be leaving us." My eyes narrowed as I realised our disadvantages.

"To do what?" Will asked.

"There's no going home to your families, so you'd live factionless."

"That isn't bloody fair." I mumbled.

"What was that?" Eric eyes were stern as he looked at me. Almost telling me not to talk, but challenging be to do so.

"It isn't fair. The Dauntless born have well, been born into this. They know a lot more than we do. And yet we are ranked with them. It's a huge disadvantage." I explained. It might have sounded whiny, but we were not used to this lifestyle. Tris had never even had a hamburger before and they expect us to be better than people who have been trained since birth.

"You're just going to have to work harder then, aren't you?" My eyes narrowed as I looked away.

"Still we are made to train next to people who have been born for this. We have a chance of being factionless more than any of them. I'm not wanting to say it's not fair, but it is ludicrous. We've been here not even twenty four hours, it's a stupid rule." He seemed to straighten.

"And if you had known about that rule. Would you have chosen differently? Out of fear? I mean if that's the case for any of you, you might as well leave now. If you are really one of us it won't matter if you might fail. You have chosen us, it's time for us to choose you." I sighed and nodded.