Practice

Christina and I skipped breakfast, not really feeling hungry. We grabbed an apple each, but other than that, nothing. I looked over the chasm as I ate my food. Christina keeps sparing glances at me, and soon she just sighs and turns. "What's that?" I stop mid bite.

"An apple?" My eyebrows furrow as I look at her.

"No, that." She gestures to my face. I run my hand over my face and notice I have a small smile.

"A smile?" She nods. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know, you're never happy in the morning." I shrug as I look at the rock me and Four had sat at last night. "What're you so happy about?" I shrug.

"Oh you know, the usual. The sun shining, the roaring of the chasm. The coldness of the stone that makes my feet ache."

"You hate all of those things."

"I can't get anything past you." I say sighing. Christina watches me carefully, studying my face.

"You kissed him." My eyes widened as I begin to choke on my apple.

"What?" My voice comes out strained as I hit my chest lightly.

"We all saw you walking up to the landscape with him. Even Tris." I wave her off. "Well?" My smile grows bigger as a grin makes its way reluctantly onto my face. "Oh my god! You so did!" She lightly hit my arm as I start laughing. I place my head on the bars as my face turns red. "Come on! I need details." I go to start telling her before hearing footsteps. I look up and see Will and Tris with Uriah.

"Nothing happened." I stare at her as he nods.

"Tell me later?"

"Of course." We both stand up as I notice Tris' sour face. I raise an eyebrow as I remember how I saw her staring at us, and how Christina said that she saw us. "You okay?" She nods.

"We're about to make our way up to the landscape, you coming?" I nod and follow after all of them. I doubt we will be going through our own landscapes and finding out how many fears we have. We had the mental stage but our fears could have gone up or down since then. They wouldn't let us be ready for the last exam.

I look at Lauren, the dauntless-born instructor. She stand with her hands on her hips in front of the fear landscape. "Two years ago, I was afraid of spiders, suffocation, walls that inch slowly inward and trap you between them, getting thrown out of Dauntless, uncontrollable bleeding, getting run over by a train, my father's death, public humiliation, and kidnapping by men without faces." Everyone stares at her blankly. I blink fast trying to get my head around all of those fears. Some were self explanatory, but others made me wonder how she got them. "Most of you will have anywhere from ten to fifteen fears in your fear landscapes. That is the average number." I take a deep breath. We really weren't ready for the exam.

"What's the lowest number someone has gotten?" Lynn speaks up.

"In recent years? Four." I haven't seen Tobias since last night, but suddenly I had an urge to look over at him. I'm not stupid, I know Four is a small number of fears, small enough to be asked to lead Dauntless, to get a nickname. But lower than average? A ten to fifteen average? He really was fantastic. He stares at the floor. "You will not find out your number today. The simulation is set to my fear landscape program, so you will experience my fears instead of your own. For the purposes of this exercise, though, each of you will only face one of my fears, to get a sense for how the simulation works." At least we won't be going in blind.

Lauren begins to assign people fears at random. I can't see what is going on, but I can see their reactions. Peter's face goes red in public humiliation, and then Tris goes in. Tris is like me, she can manipulate the simulation, but she doesn't know how long she is in there for.

I watch closely. Tears start streaming down her face. She begins to scream and suddenly I know what she is thinking. The kidnapping mixed with the fear of being thrown over the chasm. Her fear clouded her judgement as she started to panic. "Stop." Four stops the simulation and Tris stops crying. I hold my head in my hand. Tobias marches towards Tris and pulls her up. "What the hell was that, Stiff?" My eyes narrow as I watch.

"I-" She begins to hiccup. "I didn't-"

"Get yourself together! This is pathetic." My eyes narrow more as I bite my tongue. She got scared, I never called you pathetic when you cowered against a belt.

"Shut up." She yanks her arm away from him and walks out. Everyone stays quiet for a moment as I look anywhere but Four.

"Y/n," I look up. "You're up." I nod. I walk into the room, my neck itching from the needle. I take a deep breath as the room slowly changes. The room kept changing over and over again. I was assigned spiders, but it didn't look like that. Not when the multiple groups of people stared and glared at me. I raise an eyebrow.

"I wasn't supposed to have this." My eyes narrow as they all start whispering. My heart speeds up as pictures of the Erudite girl, the name I could no longer remember, showed up behind them.

My lips turned up into a snarl as they all started walking towards me. Public humiliation? This isn't... I stop for a moment. This won't work against me. A smirk. I look behind me, where the door to the room should be.

Lauren knows that I haven't got the correct simulation. I'm sure of it. My face darkened as I glared. Why did you change it?

I take a deep breath and look back. The room changed again. The people were no longer there, instead, I was in a room. Just a small cupboard. Spiders. I knew immediately when I saw the webs in front of me. Tapping on the wall, I looked, a giant spider crawled across the wall. I hold my head. Did she change the simulation? Did I see what I wanted to see?

I shake my head. Moving away from the spider on the ceiling that tried to climb onto my scalp. I could see the hairs on their legs, the fangs. I could hear when they walked, the small silver sound of webs being made. I knew as soon as I turned around, it would be a nest. The web in front of me was too small for those two, and there were too many sounds just for them. I turned around, seeing a black abyss of legs and red eyes.

My breathing quickened, this was too much. I expected a nest. I didn't expect something so... evil. The legs looked like they were reaching out to me, and the eyes were staring into my soul.

I'm not scared. I'm uncomfortable.

I let out a breath and turn around. I look round the room, looking carefully at all of the walls. There. A crack in the wall. Right beside the nest. It wasn't a crack, it looked like a switchblade was taken to the wallpaper. It wasn't perfect lines, but it looked like a door, and that is what I need.

I bring my leg up, pulling myself back, standing on one leg while leaning. And pushed forward, my shin cracking as it set straight.

The room disappeared as I caught a glance of grass out of the door. I walked out of the fear landscape. "Did you change it?" I glance at Lauren who looked at me confused.

"What?"

"The landscape. It was different at first." She shook her head. I look down at my feet before clicking my tongue and leaving.