1. New Beginnings - ✭ Monica ✭

"If any guy tries something that's the move you do, you hear me?" He makes a knee to the groin motion while thrusting the palm of his hand upward, accentuating the art of breaking someone's nose. He also does a few more moves which has me rolling my eyes.

"Yes, Dad, I've got it. The crotch and nose into brain move. I'm more than aware. You've already showed me a gazillion of times." I make a scene of gesturing to the rest of him. "I don't know what the rest of all that was about. I'm not an MMA fighter like you. I don't know how the hell to do all of that."

"I just want you to be safe." He let's out a heavy sigh before running a hand through his hair. It's his tell-tale stress habit. I'm surprised he still has such a thick head of hair.

"Don't worry, MR. M, I'll take good care of her." Carter pats his shoulder and the look on my father's face is murderous. He's never been a fan of Carter; not ever.

"Thank you, Carter." My mother interjects, removing his hand away from my father's shoulder and giving it a genuine squeeze.

"No problem. She's the love of my life, after all." He hugs me into him and places a kiss atop my head. I hug him back before he pulls away saying, "I'll see you later, Mon, I've got to get back to the frat and finish unpacking."

"Alright, see you for dinner then?"

"Sure thing."

The moment Carter exits the room my dad looks over his shoulder and grimaces. My mother just lets out a sigh while she leans into his body. His arm automatically wraps around her, visibly relaxing by her proximity.

"You know, Dad, I would think after three years of us dating you'd realize Carter is a good guy."

"Mmm. Not so much."

"Seth."

"What? He gives me the whole prep-school-jock vibe. He always has." His words make her roll her eyes. "Well, he has and you know how much I just love that."

"You're the one's who put me in a prep-school with him. So, I don't know what you expected."

"Not for you to move all the way to fucking Virginia with him for college, that's for sure." My mother elbows my father. "I'm just saying. She doesn't have me or any of her brother's here watching over her."

"She can take care of herself, Seth." The irritated look on my father's face is one I think will be permanently etched there until I come back home for the holidays.

"Dad, I'll be fine, alright? This will be good for me." His features soften when I open my arms for a hug.

"I know, kid." He wraps his arms around me, giving me a tight hug. "I just worry about you is all. You're my little girl. You always will be. I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to you, Monica."

"Well, luckily you won't have to worry about that. I'll be back up for the holidays before you know it."

✩✩✩

The exchange with my parents right before they left had made me a bit melancholy. I loved my family to death and I knew I'd miss them exponentially. Even if my dad is a bit overbearing at times, it didn't change the fact that he is a great dad. I am definitely a daddy's girl, one-hundred percent.

That was one of the things that bothered me about why he disliked Carter so much. I love Carter. He's my first love and I think he will be the only one. I was lucky to find the one right off the bat. But my father didn't think that was the case. It's like he saw a completely different person than I did.