24. A Small World - ✭ Monica ✭

Sticking up to my father is something I typically don't do. But the way he is looking at Boston slightly petrifies me, so before leaving the room, I make sure to mouth the words I know will leave him flabbergasted.

Be nice. I love him.

After I exit I see my mom pacing the hallway. She looks how I feel; nervous as hell. "Hey Mom." She turns around and looks at the door behind me.

"You left him in there, alone, with your father?"

"Yeah, they'll be fine." My admission had at least momentarily stunned my father. My mom walks over to me and gives me a much needed hug. "I've miss you so much, Mom."

"You too, honey. Sorry to surprise you but your father would not calm down. He insisted on driving down to make sure you actually came back to school. We called you several times but uhm," she looks back at the door, "it appears you were busy." She looks down the hall, "I heard the last bit of the fight before your father barged in. Are you alright?"

I look around and there are surprisingly no prying eyes. Hopefully the commotion can just be contained to my dorm. I let out a long sigh before answering, "yeah, I'm alright. But the whole thing just sucks."

Her voice lowers, "from what Carter said... this guy means a whole lot to you." Oh right. They heard all of that. My mother and father know Boston and I just had sex. Lovely.

"Yeah he does." I blink back a few tears feeling an overwhelming wave of emotions. "He really does. I, uhm, I love him."

Her brow furrows. "You just met him, Monica."

"I know it sounds stupid but I do."

"It's not stupid, honey. I just want to make sure you're not just in lust with him." It's my turn to furrow my brow in confusion. "You know like just want to have sex and do—"

"Okay, Mom, no. Stop." I give her a reassuring look. "I love him, love him. I feel things for him that I never did for Carter."

She gives me a soft smile. "Well, let's hope your father doesn't murder him so I can meet the man who's got you so taken."

As if on cue the door opens behind me, out comes my father and Boston laughing with one another.

"You know, kid, you're lucky you did a nice job." My dad pats him on the shoulder. "It's a unique piece."

"Yeah, I sketched it from scratch."

"That's talent, kid." My father closes the door behind them. "Boston, I want you to meet my wife Rae. Rae, meet the new guy who's after our daughter." We both just stare at my father for a moment. This is not what either of us expected at all. "What? Do I have a dick sticking out of my forehead or something?" Boston snorts out a laugh, probably not expecting that either.

"No, Seth, you do not have a dick sticking out of your forehead. Try to have some semblance of manners, for goodness sake." My mother swats his chest.

"Well that's what the two of you were looking at me like." I shake my head at my father and reach out for Boston's hand. He slips it in mine, my father eyes it before eyeing me. "I like him better than the other one but," he glances over to Boston, "that's not saying much."

"It's nice to meet you, Boston." My mother gives him a warm, genuine smile as she looks him over.

"It's nice to meet you too Mrs. McCaslin."

"Call me Rae." He nods his head at her. "How about we all go out and get something to eat? I saw a nice little Italian place down the street."

"That sounds great." Boston and my father said at the same time.