🕷(48) The History Project

Damian POV-

"Look! She's ignoring me!" Jon whispered, leaning on his locker with arms crossed and a large pout. Damian finished grabbing his books, slamming the locker as he groaned at his friend's comment, a variation of the same ones he'd been making since the weekend.

Of course Jon had been careless enough that Brooklyn found out his identity, but somehow, some part of the Wayne knew she wouldn't go blabbing about the kryptonian to anyone. 

She and Damian had more pressing things to take care of after all.

Since he'd walked into school, Damian had to restrain himself from walking over to Brooklyn and her group of friends to demand an update on the Joker's moves, and to yell at her for the last minute message on the walkie-talkie, that she'd left his backpack on an alley on the way to school. 

She had only acknowledged his presence with a quick once over, her gaze lingering on the injury not visible to anyone but her and Jon.

He'd had to forego his usual black turtleneck because it was such a pain to put on, so he'd been forced to put on the most casual clothes in his closet, the ones his busybody siblings had bought not long ago in anticipation to this issue.

"You'll do much better getting used to more casual clothes instead of looking like a child adult all the time" Stephanie had said, a sentiment shared by Pennyworth this morning as he dropped the two teens off at school. Apparently flying was now out of the question not just because of Damian's injury, but also because the Joker 'was making moves', who knew how much of the Wayne's movements would be watched by his scumbags. 

He frowned at the blue plaid shirt on his body, paired with the blue cotton shirt Barbara swore brought out his green eyes, which was good for some reason. She was lucky Damian was trying to be in his best behavior around her if only because of the pity of the wheelchair.

"Damian! Are you listening!?" Jon whined, so Damian looked up at the boy at last. He did look worried, more so than he'd ever witnessed. Jon was a relatively carefree person, even during training or when the Justice league were out on missions. This was unusually annoying.

"Leave it be. Stark never talks to you, nothing has changed" Damian assured, slinging his backpack over his good shoulder and making way down the hall. 

Both he and Jon snuck a glance at the group of misfits they passed by.

The Stark was leaning against a locker, nothing seemingly different about her. Same ensemble of  a plain shirt, a skirt when the weather allowed it, and some sort of decorative stilettos that seemed to be a fashion trend borrowed from her female friend, Bennet.

As always Bennet was right beside Jones, both girls in opposite sets of clothing, one a cheer outfit, the other baggy and colorless clothes. Beside them, on the Stark's opposite end was Osborn, arm around Brooklyn's shoulder lazily with Leeds and Parker sharing a joke with him.

In the few seconds it took the two to pass, the Stark managed to look up from her exchange of words with Bennet to lock gazes with him. It was as if all his honed focus zeroed on her, both exchanging glares as Damian managed to somehow lose track of time, like time was slowing down.

Brooklyn did not pry herself from her company, not that he'd expected the girl to do so, he just went on his own way, reassuring Jon that neither him or his family were endangered in any way.