🕷(81) The White Wolf

Brooklyn POV-

They had ventured out of the palace, taken one of the Wakandan Maglev Trains out of the main city and ended up in the outskirts full of grasslands. This seemed to be the place people once thought Wakanda to truly be, a rural country with textiles as their only form of trade.

It was peaceful out here, and none of the running animals payed them any mind, as if they were used to human company and had found some form of comfort from it. Brooklyn wasn't sure what she was doing all the way out here or who could possibly be all the way here to meet.

Damian would've loved to come here though, spend time with the various animals, visit the small farms.

Brooklyn was more interested in the small village close by, with children running around, Wakandan's tending to their livestock, even some washing clothes at a nearby river.

Brooklyn wondered why they were not in the main city, figured that perhaps Grandpa Steve had brought her out here not to meet someone, but as a lesson on humility. Her theory had been proven wrong when they approached one of the huts by the river's edge, one the other villagers seemed to shy away from.

The sun was still shining up above them, a small comfort against the unknown.

Perhaps she truly wasn't here to meet the king after all, why would he be doing all the way out here in a clay home? But King T'Challa had seemed very 'down to earth' when she saw him at Family Day, perhaps this was his getaway?

Grandpa Steve stood before the hut, nervously running a hand through his beard, the other along his blonde locks. He was dressed in causal attire, a simple tight shirt and some jeans, which at least meant they weren't walking into a fight of any sort.

Still, Brooklyn reached into the pocket of her bright patterned loose pants where she kept her Stark watch out of sight just in case it was needed.

Seeming to see her unease, Steve moved to stand before her, hands on her arms as he pleaded softly, "Look, I need you to keep an open mind today, Brook"

Open mind?

"Why?" she asked, suddenly very aware of how serious the Captain looked.

"This isn't exactly easy to explain" Steve said,  "Tony and I fought about this for days, but I think you deserve to meet him"

Before she could question who this supposed him could be, a man emerged from the hut, tall, dressed in Wakandan traditional clothes like Brooklyn was. He was fair skinned, with shoulder length brown hair, and...one of his arms was missing. 

Interesting. 

WAS this one of Steve's ways to teach her kindness, bringing her over to help the wounded?

Though said man was clearly missing an arm, he looked anything but helpless, he was well built, very handsome of course, but there was a weariness in his eyes when he stepped out of the hut, even if it was gone the second he saw Steve. 

Both men met in the middle, rushing into an embrace and patting one another's backs with familiarity. They whispered things to one another, laughed...seemed genuinely acquainted, even if it seemed like they hadn't seen one another in a long time. 

Yet the stranger seemed genuinely surprised to see Steve, a kind of lost puppy look in his brown eyes.

Why had dad argued with grandpa Steve to meet this guy?