🕷 (52) On Our Own

Brooklyn POV-

One moment, she and Damian were arguing wether or not Peter would be joining their next attack, the next, a laser flew right by their faces.

It missed them, but it did melt a poor trashcan.

Their casual calm was gone in an instant, and the two turned around in fighting stances as they came face to face with eight clown-masked guys holding glowing weapons in hand.

Brook should've been relieved the Joker had not sent mutants this time, but even then, this was a shitty bit of misfortune.

It was early, enough so to avoid Harry and Peter, but also that no one was making their way to school yet. The street was isolated, school gates only a block away.

In the next few seconds, all Brook could think about were Damian's words from not too long ago.

If it was down to me to save your life, would you trust me to do it?

The answer was undeniable now, because as three lazer shots rushed her way, the Wayne's instincts were faster as he pulled her over to the corner of the block, out of harm's way.

The two were panting, listening to the shots fired as bits of concrete broke off from the edge of their cover.

"Looks like the Joker did come afte you as promised" Broom said, eyes wide.

"They will close in on us soon, once school starts they may even attack students" Damian pointed out, enough of a reason for the two to let themselves be seen running away through the emptiest streets she could recall.

"At least now you don't think running is the coward's way out. Glad to see you understood those were too many for us to fight" Brook said, eyeing the road behind them to see the clown masks were still following through the alleys.

They clearly had orders to kill Damian, and they were certainly not coming for her. Brook could've feigned being a bystander....but leaving Damian right now to fend for himself. Well...she was already seen, there was no going back now.

She couldn't call her family or SHIELD for help since they were indisposed. She wasn't sure if Peter was mad about he whole ignoring him thing, and when asked, Damian mentioned his family was equally as preoccupied all over the country.

It was with a cold shiver that she realized...they were on their own.

Problem was, no matter how much they ran, how good they hid, those bastards were still on their tail. How was that even possible!?

If only they had some weapons other than the usual hidden knifes. Her Stark watch was powerful, but would attract too much attention and would not have nearly enough shots. If only they were being tracked like they had...Oh...

Brooklyn wasted not time leading them down a familiar alley with many twists and turns to buy them time. That particular passage led to the nearby mall that Tanya had taken Brook to once for shopping.

It wasn't nearly as big as the one her parents had taken her to those first days as a Stark, but clearly those lackeys were told to kill without attracting careless police involvement, otherwise they'd both be dead by now.

This was the cover they needed.

Once they reached the busying front doors, Brooklyn frantically asked for Damian's phone.