🕷(20) Just a Pretty Face, Right?

Peter POV-

Even as he tried to focus on the set of math problems before him, his mind drifted off to Brooklyn. Though she had calmed down much more than the first time they'd met...he still worried she'd do something she wasn't supposed to.

It wouldn't entirely be her fault of course. 

Being Mr. Stark's daughter brought a lot of attention, both bad and good. It must be awful to have the whole world point their eyes at you, not being able to hide behind a mask.

After dinner yesterday, he and May had ended up watching some TV before he had to leave for patrols. Most channels were still talking about the girl two doors down, and some of those comments hadn't been so nice.

She's probably just a spoiled brat living off her daddy's money.

I expected Tony Stark's daughter to be more beautiful, but look at those photos from the mall, she looks like she hasn't slept in days!

Peter almost screamed at the screen that she'd been shot by a foreign weapon mere days prior, of course she looked exhausted! He'd been eyeing her injury just in case, but Brooklyn seemed to be dealing well with it.

May was the one who actually screamed the complaints at the screen, his aunt was always the more expressive of the two. 

Of course she'd rushed to defend Brooklyn, Peter had phoned May days ago and told her everything that had occurred. At this point, May probably knew more about the real Brooklyn than most.

"You know, Pete," His aunt had said, "The way you described her, I thought she'd be different. But she was kind and respectful. That girl has beautiful table manners too, and she even helped out with the dishes! I find it hard to believe she's an assassin"

Peter had been shocked too. During the meal, he could tell she was confused, maybe a little apprehensive, but May warmed up to her, creating an easy flowing conversation.

"I think she still hates Spider-man, but she doesn't mind Peter Parker all that much" he'd replied, eyeing the backpack lazy tossed on the ground containing his suit.

How could that girl hate him but also not hate him?

"Maybe she was on edge with her dad around. Someone of her background would be apprehensive of heroes, right? Maybe in time, she'll warm up to the hero inside of you too" May assured him, ruffling his hair, "I still can't believe they left her to live alone"

Peter frowned at the wall to his right, as if he could use x-ray vision like Superman to see two doors down.

"She insisted on that part. I don't think she would have liked living in the compound with everyone" he said, while also listening to the comments on TV.

Did you see how apart they were from each other? Maybe Tony Stark hates his daughter after all.

That girl is just a kid, why are we all talking about someone so unimportant? Let's get to actual news! 

May turned off the TV, casting a worried look out the window.

"When I looked into her eyes today like they taught me in yoga class,  all I saw was a shell of a person, someone who felt empty... Pete, I hope she'll at least get some friends, no kid deserves this" May turned to the only photo of Peter's parents in the apartment. A man and woman holding a baby in a meadow. "No kid deserves to grow up with so much pain"