🕷(11) Salt and Pepper

Brooklyn POV-

Out of all the outcomes she'd thought of for the day, this was definitely not one of them. 

Still soaked from the rain, Brooklyn watched as water dripped down the red leather couch she currently sat on. Beside her, Stark was also staring at the ground, finding it equally as interesting as they were both getting the scolding of their lives.

When a nice woman had stood before the teen outside the compound, Brook had drawn the kitchen knife in seconds, ready to gut the person who dared step in on her alone time. The woman hadn't seem fazed by her weapon, just frowned at her. 

In a voice that was nothing but raw command, she'd summoned Brooklyn under the umbrella, whispering nonsense about her catching a cold the whole way back to the compound. Brook had been too startled by her to bother complaining. 

It took a little longer than it should have, but the familiar face of the once CEO of Stark Industries came to mind eventually. The woman introduced herself as Virginia Potts, but kindly asked to be called Pepper. 

There was something about this woman that caused Brook to remain in some sort of docile state the whole way back. She thought it might've been the raw exhaustion for her situation, but when Ms. Potts had handed over her coat and asked Brook to put it on, the girl actually shrunk under the commanding gaze and did as she was told.

It wasn't until Brooklyn put the coat on that its warmth felt like a small relief.

When they arrived at the Avenger's floors (after many curious stares from workers and staff), it was Stark that first noticed them. Even in the living room full of screaming Avengers, Tony Stark's eyes grew wide with joy and the smile that came across his face was indescribable. 

Could faces even stretch that much?

But the fond look wasn't directed at Brooklyn.

He'd tried to run over to the woman, clearly intending on crushing Pepper into a hug. Instead, she stared him dead in the eye with a look that even the soaked Brooklyn had to turn away from. 

Both were led to Stark's office alone, sat on a couch, all while the woman leaned against the large desk frowning at them both.

"I leave for thirteen months, THIRTEEN months Tony, and this is what happens?" Pepper yelled so loud that even with the soundproofing, it was likely the Avengers a few doors down could hear it all.

Even though the question wasn't directed towards Brook, she actually shrank further into herself even when the cold clothes around her body just made her colder.

"In my defense, this was rather unexpected" Stark said, making pleading hands at his lover.

To Brooklyn's surprise, Pepper didn't seem fazed. 

"This girl was out in the rain, Tony! She could have gotten sick!" she yelled back, effectively shutting him up with a pout, then turned that spine-chilling look towards Brooklyn.

"And you!" Brook had to point at herself in confusion. Was Ms. Potts yelling at her?

"Yes, you! What were you thinking staying out there. You're lucky Happy called me as soon as this news story hit the air and that the jet that dropped me off landed just in time to see you disappear near those trees.

Was Brook seriously getting scolded by a stranger? Like hell she would.

"Who do you think you are to yell at me!? I'm a trained assassin you know!" Brooklyn yelled back, meeting the woman's intense green eyes.