🕷(18) They Said It Would Help...

Pepper POV-

Putting out the fires of the press was a lot of work, more so than Pepper had originally anticipated. It hadn't been this difficult to deal with since Tony announced himself as Iron Man though. 

It dint seize to amaze her that once again, she was working to defend a Stark. The thought of that had made Pepper smile as she sorted out though mail for interviews, magazine photo shoots, and even people who wanted Brooklyn to go visit their companies in an effort to establish future work with Stark Industries.

After a long day of sorting through everything and anything she couldn't have possibly imagined, the woman saw the glamour of her home. Even with Happy at the wheel, she beheld all with relative silence, unable shake the excitement of being back at last.

Pulling up into the Avengers compound under the moonlight, Pepper quickly entered its warm halls after Happy mentioned something about taking the car out back. Inside, the woman was greeted by the friendly receptionists before scrambling as quickly as she could towards the private floors.

The halls were still busy, buzzing with work with all this alien weapon's business going on. After not being in the compound for a long time, Pepper actually smiled at the facial buzz.

As soon as she made it inside the waiting elevator, she noticed Bruce inside, looking tired but relatively calm. When he noticed her presence, the doctor welcomed her back with the same friendly courtesy as always. He quickly mentioned something about going back to the living room for some coffee, likely going back down to his lab afterwards, something that didn't surprise her at all. 

"If you're looking for Tony, he's up in his lab" Bruce said, pushing the button so they could make it a floor up from the main avengers floor, right to the lab. he didn't seem to be in a hurry, so Pepper thanked him for the kindness as she set down her purse filled with files.

Over the years, Pepper had learned that Bruce wasn't much of a talker, especially late in the day, so Pepper didn't intrude and instead continued to ponder on the thoughts of the day.

The sight of Bruce had reminded her more of the time she spent away from Tony, mostly because the doctor had been away as well.

She hadn't been present to deal with the accords a year ago, even when she'd wanted nothing more than to return to  help Tony at the time. He was infuriating, and their last fight was not the greatest, but seeing him hurt  on TV always broke her heart. 

Like now, when she finally made it to his private lab and saw him asleep among a table full of scattered books. Even in sleep Tony seemed restless, mumbling as he often did when work chased him even in his dreams.