44 - easy

Lexa

When I wake Palmer lies beside me, sound asleep. I shifted closer to her in the night, my head tucked against her breasts and my chest pressed against her stomach. She never let go.

I pick my head up enough to see the alarm clock on the nightstand. It's just after six in the morning. Sunlight filters through a crack in the curtains, a thin line of light across Palmer's cheek. Her eyelashes shine in the sun and her lips are parted as she breathes. Her chin tips down towards my head.

I resist the urge to slide across her body, waking her up with a gentle kiss on her soft lips. Instead, I shift and rest my head on her shoulder. As I move she loosens her grip but tightens her hold as I settle in again.

She called me baby last night. I'm sure it was an accident, but she still said it. James never called me anything other than 'Lexa' or 'babe'. I'm dying to hear her say it again, but I know she won't. Not yet.

For the next half hour I rest against her shoulder, my hand tracing the outline of her abs. She has such a beautiful body. I love going to the gym with her because it means watching her workout in tight leggings and a sports bra. Lucas, our trainer, is always telling me to pay attention. And I am. Just not to what I'm doing.

I've been eating more these past few months. I make sure to keep a healthy diet, eating the correct amount for my body. James stopped bugging me about it when he realized he wasn't getting anywhere.

James. I'm ending things today. According to Palmer, the entire cast is waiting with boxes and suitcases to help me move out. They've all done so much for me. They're like a second family.

Despite everything that's happened, I'm still worried about hurting James. I won't back down, though; I know what I want. I don't want to cause anyone more pain. But I have to do this. For James, for Palmer, and for myself.

Palmer shifts beneath me and my eyes flicker to the side of her face. She stifles a yawn and nuzzles her head against me, her hand rubbing my back. I smile to myself.

"Palmer... wake up," I murmur. She audibly sighs and rolls us over so her body lies on top of mine. She wraps her arms around my back and buries her head in my boobs. I rub her bare back as my smile widens. "Palmer," I try again, "I'll make you breakfast."

She immediately picks her head up from my chest and opens her eyes. She gives me a foolish grin. "Heyyy," she hums. "What was that about breakfast?"

I laugh out loud and sit up, pulling her with me. She falls onto her side, her elbow on the pillow and her head in her hand. I roll over and copy the position so we face each other. My eyes trail across her features, taking her in. She stares at me fondly and does the same.

"How are you feeling?" She speaks softly, her voice light.

I give her a sad smile. "I'm okay, Palmer."

She gives me that soft half-smile of hers, the one I've come to love. "What time does James leave for work?"

My smile falters. "7:30."

"I'll tell everyone to be there at eight."

I give her a slow nod, my eyes suddenly finding interest in the bedsheets. Palmer reaches forward and tips my chin back up. "If you don't want them to come, all you have to do is say the word."

I bring my hand to hers and hold it tight. "It's okay. I want them there."

Palmer smiles until her dimples show. She drops my hand and slides out of bed, grabbing her shirt from last night and throwing it on. To my delight, she leaves it unbuttoned. She steps away and pulls open the curtains before turning back to me. My eyes pass over her body as the sunlight behind her highlights her silhouette. She smiles again and I slide out of bed, her t-shirt hanging to my knees. The fabric smells like her skin.