2 - vegas heat

Palmer

I step off the plane and warm air hits me through the thin walls of the jet bridge. My suitcase rolls behind me as I follow the ramp, the wheels bumping over the metal connectors of the floor. I exit the gate and head for the escalators. I need to catch a taxi to the hotel and I follow the signs to curbside pickup. My phone rings while I ride an escalator to the ground level.

"Palmer, have you landed? Why didn't you call?" My dad asks urgently.

I smile to myself. "Dad, I just got off the plane. I was going to call from the taxi."

We talk for a few minutes about the flight and he makes sure I have all my plans in order. A crew member from the show keeps me updated with my plane ticket, hotel room, and planned events with the cast.

Need people to get to know each other? Send them to Vegas for a week. They'll either hate each other or become best friends. No in between. But we're hoping for the latter.

My dad asks me again about my hotel. "Dad. I'm almost 25. I can handle this." I speak with a hint of annoyance but I smile.

"I know, I know. Just... text me when you get to the hotel. Okay?"

"Okay," I agree. "Love you." I hang up the phone, returning it to my back pocket and stepping outside. The hot air hits me like steam and I squint into the sun as I put on my sunglasses. I wear dark baggy jeans with the bottoms cuffed and a white crop top t-shirt, the Beatles logo splashed across the front in black lettering. My Doc Martins make a dull sound on the asphalt as I cross the sidewalk to the nearest cab.

"Where to?" the driver asks as I hand him my luggage.

I thank him and tell him the name of my hotel before hopping into the back seat. We drive away from the airport and I'm thankful for the cold air blowing from the vents in front of me.

Taking my phone out, I text Chloe and Nick.

💥charlie's angels 2.0💥

just landed
way too fucking hot here

ashfksjd suck it up frozone
chlocaine ;)

where the cute guys at
my friends call me gay nick :)

u referencing the 60 year old with old people breath
in the seat next to me on the plane??

ew
chlocaine ;)

omw to the hotel
supposed to meet the cast there but i'm early

that's a first
my friends call me gay nick :)

stfu

ft me when u get there
surveillance purposes ofc
chlocaine ;)

ofc
be there in five

I turn my attention out the window and admire the Vegas strip. I've been here once before, for my sister's bachelorette party a couple years ago. Drank way too much, slept with way too many people, but only lost a *small* sum of money to poker.

It's nearly 5:00 and the streets are packed. Restaurants overflow and bars have their doors wide open. I can hear three different songs playing from three different bars, their lyrics so loud they blast through the car doors.

Giant billboards and glowing signs fill the buildings. It reminds me of Times Square. But hotter.

We arrive at the hotel and I climb out of the backseat, meeting the driver at the trunk. He hands me my suitcase as I pay him in cash.