45 - deny, deny, deny

Palmer

Just after 7:30, I sit up and sigh, running my hands through my hair. "Lex, we should get ready to go."

"Just... one second..." I watch Lexa as she finishes what she's typing. When she's done she sits back, smiling at the screen. I lean over her shoulder but she slams the computer shut. "Nope! No spoilers."

I roll my eyes playfully and tug on her arm. "Come on, let's go."

Together, we gather cardboard boxes, garbage bags, and suitcases. We drag all of it down to the parking garage and load my car. I climb in and she takes the passenger seat. She wrings her hands together and stares out the window as we drive.

Noticing her uneasiness, I reach over and place my hand on her thigh. I give her leg a light squeeze. I move to pull back but her hand finds mine and returns it to her leg. When I glance at her, unsure, she's looking out the window again but keeps her hand over mine.

I allow a brief smile as I turn my eyes back to the road. James better not be home. If he is... I don't know what will happen. But my hand is healing nicely.

This morning was amazing. After all our time together she's never spent the night with me before. I could get used to waking up to her whisper in my ear and her arms wrapped around me tight. I could get used to her.

I'm drawn from my thoughts as Lexa directs me to James's parking spot. I breathe a sigh of relief that it's empty. I pull in right beside Lexa's car. We head upstairs together and stop right outside their door.

Lexa stares at the wood in front of her, unmoving. I touch her elbow. When she doesn't move away I slide my palm into hers. She squeezes tightly as she pushes open the door.

She steps inside slowly, looking around. I've only been here a couple times before but it looks exactly the same. Except for the two empty pizza boxes on the counter. Lexa would never leave them out like that.

I close the door behind us and come to her side. "Palmer?" Her voice breaks.

"Yes?"

"Stay close."

"Always."

She turns into me and wraps her arms around my shoulders. Her eyes stay dry but she hugs me tightly. I gratefully return the embrace, leaning back as she drops her weight onto me. She pulls away and stops with her face inches from mine. I stare into her beautiful green eyes. And I want to kiss her. But I don't.

She steps away and I drop my hands from her waist. The others arrive in the next ten minutes, each of them giving Lexa a hug and offering their support. Her mood gradually brightens as they all arrive. We stand in a circle around the kitchen island.

"Okay," I start. "We have plenty of work to do. John, Brayden," I toss them my car keys, "go bring everything up from my car. Lexa will go from room to room and tell us what she wants packed. All we gotta do is put it in a box." I eye Alex. "And don't break anything."

He frowns. "Can we at least, like, leave rotten milk in the fridge?"

I force away my smile. "No, Alex."

Lexa speaks up, her lips twisting into a smile. "Besides, Palmer already taught him a lesson."

The others look at me confused before Alex notices my bruised knuckles. He jumps in excitement. "Yes! You badass! I'm so proud!" He holds his hand out for a high five.

Unable to hide my smile, I roll my eyes and slap his hand. "Okay, okay, let's get to work," I interrupt everyone's laughter. John and Brayden head down for the boxes while the rest of us start gathering Lexa's things.