62 - *special* friends

Lexa

"For what?"

Palmer answers with a smile and rings the doorbell. A second later the door swings open to reveal Chloe standing there. She wears baggy jeans and a red sweater, her blonde hair tucked up into a Santa hat.

"Palmer!" she screams before tackling her in a hug.

I take a step back to avoid being knocked over. Nick comes running out the door and jumps on the others, wrapping them up in a hug. Chloe takes a step back and notices me. "Lexa!" She draws me into a similar hug. "Oh my God, I can't believe I finally get to meet you!"

I laugh and return her embrace. Nick looks at me and then back to Palmer with a smirk. "You are so lucky I'm gay," he teases.

My cheeks heat up in a blush and Palmer punches him in the arm. Chloe rolls her eyes and wraps an arm around my shoulders. "Come in, you have to meet everyone!"

"Everyone?" I glance back at Palmer but am already being dragged through the door. Nick and Palmer follow behind us.

The first thing that hits me is the wonderful aroma coming from the kitchen. My mouth waters as the scent of herbs reaches my noise. The front door opens in front of a carpeted staircase. A dining room is to the left and past that, the kitchen. On my right is a cozy living room crowded with people.

I take a deep breath and Palmer squeezes between me and Chloe. "Hey!" Chloe complains.

Palmer rolls her eyes and wraps an arm around my waist. "She's mine. Back off." I bite my lip to hold back a laugh as a blush creeps into my face.

"Incoming!" someone shouts.

I look towards the noise and step back as a golden retriever barrels towards us. He jumps on Palmer and she takes his front paws, swinging him back and forth as she laughs. The dog nuzzles his head against her stomach and she pets his head. "This is Thor," she says to me.

I smile. "Where's Loki?" As if on cue, a meow comes from a slim back cat sitting on the arm of the couch.

Palmer's smile widens. "Right over there."

A woman comes bustling around the corner. Her brown hair is pulled into a ponytail, her eyes the same shade as Palmer's. "Thor, get down!" She shoos the dog away and turns to me and Palmer. Her lips break into a smile and she pulls her daughter into a hug.

"Hey, Mom," Palmer says.

Palmer's mother gives her a tight squeeze before separating. "I missed you, Palmer."

"I missed you too."

I watch the exchange with a soft smile, waiting for Palmer to introduce me. "Mom, this is-"

"Lexa! Oh my gosh, I've been waiting forever to meet you!" Mrs. Drake pulls me into a hug and Palmer tries not to laugh beside me.

"Mrs. Drake, it's so good to-"

"Oh, call me Julia. I've heard so much about you." As we talk, an older man comes around the corner and places his hand on Julia's waist. He holds out his hand to me.

"Aaron, Palmer's father. And you're Lexa?" he asks.

I smile. "That's me."

His smile touches his hazel eyes, wrinkles appearing in the corners. His hair is a dirty-blonde, his eyes kind. After introductions, Julia and Aaron turn back to the kitchen, leaving Palmer to show me around.

After shedding our coats, she holds a hand to the small of my back and is about to lead me into the crowded living room. "Palmer," I whisper, "you didn't say the entire town would be here."