63 - whipped

Palmer

I watch Lexa disappear into the kitchen with a soft smile on my face. As soon as she's gone, Nick and Chloe hop onto the couch on either side of me. Thor lies on my feet and I shield his head from Nick's sneakers as he clambers onto the sofa.

"Tell us everything," Chloe giggles.

I smile. "You guys already know everything."

"We don't know when the wedding is!" Nick exclaims.

I laugh and swat his harm. "Shush, she'll hear you."

"Good! Go propose right fucking now and I won't throw hands."

I roll my eyes but a wide smile spreads across my lips. When I stay quiet, Nick and Chloe's eyes widen.

"Holy shit!"

"She's actually thinking about it!"

"Shhhh!" I whisper-shout to both of them. "Guys, you're insane. We started dating two weeks ago!"

"Oh my God, I want to be a bridesmaid!" Chloe squeals.

"Me too!" Nick shouts back.

"Guys!" I interrupt their squealing. "Slow. Down. Okay, maybe, someday, I wouldn't mind–"

"YES! OH MY GOD I'M GONNA BE A SISTER-IN-LAW!" Chloe screams.

"I CALL BEING THE WINE AUNT TO THEIR CHILDREN!" Nick shouts.

"I'm going to kill you two."

Nick and Chloe fall silent and we settle back into the cushions. "You really like her, don't you?" Chloe asks.

I look down at my hands in my lap. My lips part into a soft smile and my heart flutters just thinking about Lexa. "Yeah, I do."

Nick scoots closer and leans his head on my shoulder. "Awww, you're whipped."

"Shut up," I mumble.

"What'd you get her for Christmas?" Chloe asks.

"Oh! I'm so excited, I got her–" I'm interrupted by the sound of the doorbell.

Lexa comes back from the kitchen, my mom following her. "I'll get it," I offer. I push off Nick and Chloe's shoulders as I stand and carefully step around Thor. I leave the living room and make my way to the front door. I check my watch. It's late, almost ten. Maybe someone forgot something?

I pull open the front door and the girl standing there turns to face me. My heart freezes in my chest. Her raven-black hair is speckled with snowflakes, a white scarf hanging over a black winter coat. Her ice blue eyes meet mine, eyes that tear at my heart.

"Camryn?" I whisper.