15 - starving

Lexa

"James, I'm home!" I call into the apartment.

"In here!" he shouts back from the living room. I pass the kitchen and find him on the couch, playing video games. "How was it?"

I flop onto the couch beside him. "It was amazing. We started filming already and it was so much fun."

"That's great," he says without looking at me.

I lean forward and kiss him on the cheek. He smiles, and I continue to kiss him, my lips trailing down his neck.

"Hang on, Lexa, the game's over in a few minutes."

I sigh, pulling my lips away and lying back against the cushions. I watch the video game progress on the screen. Call of Duty. He plays it all the time. About ten minutes later I scoot closer to him. He wraps one arm around me and his hand finds the controller again.

"Hurry up and lose," I mumble.

He smiles again. The game ends and he puts the controller on the coffee table, wrapping both arms around me. I smile as he draws me closer. "So, how was it?"

"Great. Really. The place is huge, I have my own dressing room, the set is really cool-"

"You should give me a tour," he interrupts.

I look up at him. "I'd love to." He cups my chin and pulls me in for a long kiss. We break away and I smile against his lips. "The dressing room even has a pullout bed in the couch," I whisper against his lips.

"We should make use of that sometime," he mutters before connecting his lips to mine once again. He kisses me hungrily and lifts me into his lap. My legs straddle him and he leans against the back of the couch, his hands on my hips. I wait for his tongue to pass across my lip before parting my mouth. He plunges his tongue inside, swirling it against my own. A moment later I pull away for air.

I smile, rubbing my hands across the back of his neck. "What do you want for dinner?"

"Besides you?"

I roll my eyes playfully and slide out of his lap. "Seriously, I'm starving."

"I'm good with whatever."

I smile and head back to the kitchen. I open our fridge and take out some chicken cutlets, along with fresh green beans. I let my mind wander as I cook and James goes back to his game.

Today was amazing. We filmed a good portion of the first episode, where the characters are introduced and there's a call for a fire. It was so much fun on set with everyone. I'm glad the good relations carried over from our trip in Vegas.

We filmed the new scene a few times, the one Matt added in. Originally, John, who plays the Captain, gives me the tour after introducing me to the others as a group. Instead, Palmer walks me around after meeting me personally. Every time we filmed it I found myself relaxing into the role. I think the love interest thing is a good idea.

Palmer doesn't, though. I can tell whenever someone brings it up. She pastes on a smile but always has this hesitant look in her eyes. I can't explain it.

She seemed shocked when I told her I'm straight. Which is weird, cause she knows I'm marrying James. And okay, there was maybe a night or two in college where I got a little drunk and made out with a friend. It never meant anything. But I wouldn't mind kissing Palmer.

My hands stop snapping green beans as my brow furrows in confusion. Wait, what? I would mind kissing Palmer. She's my friend, she's a girl, she's not James. I'll probably have to, on the show. But it doesn't count when we're acting. Right?

I continue working on the meal, pushing Palmer to the back of my mind. The thought of her confuses me. Instead, I think about my wedding. I want to ask James about setting a date. We'll talk over dinner, I decide.

Not long later the food is ready and I call James in from the living room. He sits next to me at the kitchen island, plates of food in front of us.

I serve myself a generous portion and reach to take a bite when James stops me.

"You sure you want to eat all that?" He raises an eyebrow.

I shrug. "I'm hungry."

He sighs and turns back to his food. I watch him take a few bites and look down at my own plate. I guess I did take a lot. I put one of the pieces of chicken back before digging in.

"Hey, I wanted to talk to you about something," I say lightly.

He turns to me with his mouth full and gestures for me to go on. "I was hoping we could decide on a wedding date. Sometime in the fall?"

His chewing slows and he forces a swallow. "Oh. Sure, that's fine."

"Really? Okay!" My voice rises in excitement. "I was thinking we could have it in New York somewhere, it would look so nice in the fall-"

"New York?" he interrupts.

"That's where I grew up," I remind him. "My family is all there."

"Okay, but my parents live here. What about my family?"

"Couldn't they just fly out for a weekend?"

He's quiet for a moment before answering. "I'd have to ask."

"Could you?" He responds by taking another bite of food. "I could do it, if you don't want to," I offer.

"No, I will."

"Okay. Thanks, babe." I lean forward and kiss him on the cheek.

We finish eating in light conversation, filled with a few words about our days. He's a manager for a publishing company based in LA. He travels a lot to view client's work, and has a pretty busy schedule. We both do, now. He tells me about this new book he thinks I'll like, about this girl who grew up in an orphanage. She runs away and it's about her discovering the world around her.

"Where's the author?" I ask, knowing he'll have to meet with them.

"Washington state. I leave Thursday but should be back Sunday."

"Let me know if it's any good," I smile.

"Sure thing, babe."

When we're done I clear the dishes and tell James I'm going to take a shower. I head to the bathroom with some pajamas. I turn the water on and undress, stepping in once the temperature warms. I breathe deeply and tilt my face towards the shower head, letting the water wash away what remains of my makeup. I spin around and run my hands through my hair.

I got through the first day. I thought I would be a nervous wreck, but it was an easy transition. Everyone was so kind. And Palmer helped, of course.

Palmer. I close my eyes and shake my head as my mind drifts back to her. I feel the ring on my finger, replaced as soon as I got back to my dressing room. I have no idea why I keep coming back to her. Even on set, I found myself constantly near her. And when I wasn't, I wanted to be.

She's just a friend. At least, I keep telling myself that. I want to believe it. I don't know if I do anymore.

--------------------

a/n
over 150 reads!!! i know it's not a lot but it means so much to me so thank you 🥺🥺
:)