60 - her

Palmer

I follow Lexa out of our rental car and up the steps of the brownstone. I clench my hand around the strap of my duffle bag to keep it from shaking. She glances sideways at me and shoots me a smile. I try to give one back but it falters.

Lexa frowns. "Palm? You okay?"

"Yeah, of course," I respond lightly.

She steps closer and her hand finds mine. "You have nothing to worry about."

"What if they hate me?" I mumble, my eyes on my feet.

Lexa laughs and my ears burn with shame. "Wait, no, I'm sorry," she giggles. "Don't be embarrassed."

I furrow my brows. "I'm not."

"Your ears are red. That only happens when you're embarrassed," she states.

I meet her eyes and can tell she's holding back a smile. "You noticed that?"

She gives me a sheepish grin. "Yeah."

I smile and pull her into a hug. "I'm nervous," I whisper.

"I'm sorry for laughing, but you have nothing to be nervous about," she assures me. She pulls back and cups my face in her hands. "They're going to love you."

I take a deep breath, letting her words calm me down. Once Lexa's sure I'm okay, she turns and rings the doorbell. It takes everything in me not to hold her hand as we wait.

A few moments later the door swings open to reveal a middle-aged woman that looks just like Lexa. Her light brown hair is the same shade as Lexa's, but with a few grey streaks and a slight wave. She's maybe three inches shorter than me with a slight frame. A few wrinkles crease her face but her smile adds a youth to her expression that shines in her hazel eyes.

"Lexa!" She pulls her daughter in for a hug as they greet each other. When they let go Lexa's mother turns to me.

"Mom, this is Palmer," Lexa introduces me.

"Mrs. Marshall, it's so nice to finally meet you," I say with a smile. I hold out my hand but instead she pulls me in for a hug. Lexa smiles at me when I glance sideways at her.

We pull apart and Mrs. Marshall is all smiles. "Palmer, I've waited ages to meet you! Lexa's told me all about you."

I smile at Lexa. "Has she now?"

"Oh, come inside girls! It's freezing out here." Mrs. Marshall waves us in and I knock my boots on the doorframe before stepping inside. The entrance hall is decorated for the holidays, an evergreen garland and red ornaments adorning the small table beside the door. I take my coat off and help Lexa with hers, handing them to her mom who hangs them in a coat closet beside the door.

We've taken a few steps when an older man joins us. He gives me a wide smile and I offer my hand. He shakes it firmly, his green eyes soft and his expression warm. He's my height, his hair raven black with peppered grey. "Palmer, it's great to meet you. I'm David, and you've already met my wife, Jen."

Lexa gives her father a hug and together the four of us make our way to the living room. A fire sitting in the hearth gives the room a golden glow. A long maroon couch sits across from it with an armchair on either side. A wide TV hangs above the fireplace, currently playing Christmas music at a low volume. Mrs. Marshall excuses herself to the kitchen to finish preparing dinner and we take a seat on the couch, Lexa in between me and her dad.

"How was your flight, girls?" Mr. Marshall asks.

Lexa shoots me a look and I bite my lip to keep from laughing. "It was great," I say with a smile. "Private jet has its perks."