7 - fiancée

Lexa

I cross the room and lean forward onto the bar, my hands clasped in front of me. I look down at my fingers, the engagement ring bringing a smile to my lips. It falters as I remember why I got up to get a drink. Palmer. In the bathroom? Seriously?

She hardly even knows that girl. And she just gave herself up to her. A cold shiver runs down my spine at the thought of a stranger touching her.

I frown, confused. Why the hell do I care so much? I hardly know Palmer. I met her today, just a few hours ago. Why should I care who she gives her body to?

I look back down at the single ring on my finger, the diamond sparkling. I should call James tonight before going to bed.

Palmer's wearing rings on her hands, I remember. One on her left pointer finger, and then three across her pointer, middle, and ring finger of her right hand. They're stacked on her middle finger, a few simple bands with a sapphire gem in one. I wonder if that's her birthstone...

I'm pulled back to the present as the bartender comes over. I order a cocktail.

"What kind?" he asks as he slings a towel over his shoulder.

"Surprise me."

He hands me a glass a moment later, a bright blue liquid inside. I take a sip, the fruitiness and alcohol blending on my tongue. I'm about to head back to the table when a man approaches, coming up beside me.

"Hey, beautiful. You want something to go with that drink?" he asks loudly. His words slur and his breath smells like stale beer.

"I'm good, thanks." I try to step around him but he blocks my way.

"Come on, baby. Just a taste?" He takes a step forward as I step back, putting my hand up to keep him away.

"Sorry, just-"

I'm interrupted by another voice. "Hey, babe, there you are!" Palmer comes up beside me, wrapping an arm around me and kissing my cheek. "Was wondering where you went," she adds with fake niceness.

I return the smile. "Just grabbing a drink," I say happily.

She glances up at the man beside me, as if noticing him for the first time. "And you are?" she asks, a fake smile on her lips and an aggressive look in her eyes.

"I was just, uh...are you her girlfriend?" he stutters out.

Palmer pulls me in closer and holds up my left hand. "Fiancée, actually."

He looks at my hand, to me, Palmer, and back down to my hand. He seems confused.

Palmer rolls her eyes and pulls me away from the bar, keeping her body between me and the man and one arm around my shoulders. We head back to our table and sit down at the booth, Palmer making sure to sit on the outside.

"He still looking?" she asks.

Alex subtly turns his head to look. "Yeah."

She leans down to my ear and whispers, "laugh."

I do and she smiles before kissing me on the forehead and pulling me closer to her. I mean, I'm practically sitting in her lap at this point. I keep smiling, tangling one hand in her wavy hair.

"Okay, he's gone," Alex says, turning back to us.

Palmer quickly stops smiling and double-checks to be sure. She looks at me and gives a soft smile, the corner of her mouth turning up slightly.

I slide off her lap, pulling my hand from her hair. "Thanks," I say quietly.

She nods, her eyes not leaving mine. "Any time."

I can tell she means it.

Suddenly, a loud crash sounds from another side of the room. A drunk man collapsed near the windows, pulling the curtains down with him.

Palmer jumps beside me, grabbing my elbow roughly.

I look at her, surprised by her strong grip. "You okay?"

She meets my eyes and glances down to where she grabbed me. "Yeah, sorry."

She exchanges a glance with Peyton and Alex. "I'm going to get some air, text me if you need me." She stands, rubbing her left hand down the fabric of her dress.

"And why would we need you?" Alex asks sarcastically.

She tilts her head to the side with a cocky grin. "Aw, how sweet. You actually think you could live without me."

Alex and Peyton laugh as she turns away. Her smile falters for just a moment as her eyes meet mine. Or maybe I'm imagining it.

---

Fifteen minutes pass and Palmer hasn't returned. I look around the room for the fifth time, seeing no sign of her. "She didn't say where she was going, did she?" I ask the others.

They shake their heads. "She just said she needed some air," Peyton reminds me.

I nod, trying to ignore the strange feeling in my gut. She's probably fine. There's people everywhere, I doubt she's in any trouble. Probably fucking some guy in a closet somewhere.

I clench my fist against the tabletop, frustrated and annoyed. And then I close my eyes as I sigh, annoyed that I'm annoyed.

I slide to the end of the booth and stand, leaving my empty cocktail glass on the table.

"Where are you going?" Alex asks. He and Peyton are sharing a basket of fries, a hard lemonade in front of each of them.

I shrug. "Just going to see where she is."

They look at each other and then back to me. "What?" I ask skeptically.

"Nothing." Peyton quickly takes a large bite of fries.

I look at them curiously but ignore whatever's going on. I just want to find Palmer.

I walk around for a few minutes, trying to remember which direction she went. She said she needed some air, did she go back out the front door? No, she headed deeper into the casino. My trail leads me to a less crowded part of the building, my eyes searching for a red velvet dress. Finally, on the other side of the building, I see her.

She stands on a balcony, alone and far away from the crowd. I walk down the long hallway towards her, taking in the scene. Her back is turned and she's leaning forward, one foot crossed behind the other. Beautiful red curtains hang on either side of the doorway, the white french doors pulled open towards the inside.

Her head tilts up to the sky.