32 - complicated

Lexa

After lunch, the building is empty. Most of the cast and crew left to film a scene off site. Palmer and I stayed behind, Matt giving us a few hours off after this morning. Besides, we're not in the scene.

An unusual quiet replaces the constant bustle of the set. I'm sitting on the back bench of a fire truck, my legs out in front of me and my back leaning against the corner. My thoughts swarm, my mind buzzing. I'm still reeling from our kiss this morning. And then I saw her tweet. So of course, I went looking for the headlines.

They're all wrong. But after the premiere, I guess it wasn't much of a stretch. I'm sure James has seen them by now, after Palmer's announcement. He texted me five minutes ago asking if he could stop by the set and talk to me. I told him yes, seeing as there's no one here. Except Palmer, in her dressing room.

He arrives a few minutes later. Walking across the set, I meet him halfway. I take his hand and pull him to the other side of the fire trucks, in the center of the set. The rigs provide some privacy, just in case someones shows up.

"We need to talk." He sounds angry.

"I'm sorry, James. I didn't even know until today," I confess.

"Sure you didn't."

"I'm telling the truth. I didn't know until I saw what Palmer posted."

"And when did she know?" he hisses.

"Today, I'm guessing."

"Or she's known for a while."

"That makes no sense, James." I shake my head, trying to control my frustration. "Why wouldn't she tell me?"

"Because she's selfish. She wants you all to herself. And you want her."

His words shock me. "That's not true," I spit back, my voice rising.

"I don't believe you."

Palmer

I'm tucked into a corner of the set, up beside the balcony overlooking the fire trucks. Off to the side, there's a wide window with a fire escape outside. I like to sit here sometimes, hanging my legs off the edge while I sit on the windowsill. Higher up, a refreshing breeze drifts through the hot air.

I stare off into the distance, my thoughts on Lexa. On her lips, specifically. And her engagement ring. That I didn't give her.

When did everything get so complicated? We were in a good place, working well together, spending time together. As friends. And then there was the night at Joseph's house, what happened in the pool. Our talk after in the bathroom. We sat there for a while after our clothes dried. Just enjoying each other's company. Then the premiere, and those photos, and the kiss. And when she kissed my cheek...

I don't know why that matters so much to me. Maybe because it was her and me, not Emily and Ali. No script to follow.

I hear voices coming from inside and tilt my head towards the sound. I thought everyone was filming. It takes me a moment to realize it's Lexa. I swing my legs over the sill and climb back inside, closing the window. As I get closer I realize she's arguing with someone. James. I stay tucked in the corner, unsure if I should leave. But in order to do that I'd have to walk past them.

"You spend so much time with her, Lexa," James complains. "More than you do with me." He sounds angry.

When Lexa speaks, so does she. "It doesn't mean anything! We work together!" I realize with a jolt they're talking about me.