23 - suits

Lexa

"Another one for the books! Great work everyone!" Matt calls from the front of the room. We just finished the second episode of the show. Joseph, who was cast as the Lieutenant, invited the cast over for dinner tonight. I wasn't sure about going but Palmer convinced me.

She's been keeping an eye on me these past two weeks. And I won't lie, it feels good to have her watching over me.

The crowd disperses as people pack up for the day. We're meeting at Joseph's house at 6:00, which gives me an hour to go home and get ready. I leave my dressing room just as Palmer exits hers.

"Hey," she smiles when she sees me. I return the grin and we walk side by side down the hall. "You know what you're wearing tonight?" she makes conversation.

"Haven't decided yet. You?"

"Already picked something out."

I wait for her to elaborate but she remains silent. A curious smile touches my lips. "Are you going to tell me or..."

"You'll see soon enough, Marshall."

I smile. Butterflies flutter in my stomach when she uses my last name. James only ever calls me Lexa. We make it to the front entrance and she turns to say goodbye.

"I'll see you at six, Lex." She smiles and walks off down the sidewalk. My eyes follow before I head in the other direction. And suddenly I'm excited for the dinner party, if only to see Palmer in a beautiful dress.

────

I get to Joseph's house a few minutes after 6:00. I knock on the door and he pulls it open, a grin on his face. His black hair is neatly combed, his jawline prominent. He stands about half a foot above me, wearing dress pants with a collared shirt and tie.

"Lexa! You look wonderful." He steps aside to let me in.

I smile and glance at my phone, checking the time. "Sorry I'm late, there was traffic on Route-" I cut off abruptly when I look up and see Palmer.

She's not wearing a dress. She wears a stunning black suit, the blazer unbuttoned over a thin, cropped black tank top. Even from here I can see her abs. Her loose hair is somewhat messy, the waves cascading down her shoulders. She looks hot. No, she looks gorgeous.

Palmer glances my way and smiles. I grin back, breaking out of my trance.

"She looks nice, doesn't she?" Joseph teases.

I blush, having forgotten he was there. "Uh, yeah," I stutter.

He laughs and heads off towards the group. I follow him further into his house. It's more like a mansion. High ceilings, beautiful light fixtures, a long oak table in the dining room. The cast sits around it and Palmer takes a seat once Joseph and I enter. I pretend not to notice the way her eyes pass over my body.

I settled on a matching teal skirt and blouse, an inch of my midriff exposed. The skirt is loose around my thighs, the fabric swishing as I sit. The only empty seat is the one across from Palmer.

Brayden is on my left and John at my right. Palmer sits between Peyton and Alex, and Joseph is at the head of the table. Dishes are spread out before us, full champagne glasses at every setting. Joseph holds his up and we do the same.

"Let me start by thanking you all for coming tonight. I wanted to do something nice for you all, seeing as we've been working side by side this past month." He pauses. "You guys are not only my coworkers, but my friends. And congratulations on another episode done." He smiles and leans forward. We clink glasses in the middle, mine ringing against Palmer's. She smiles, her dimple showing.