28 - stunning

Lexa

"We arrive in limos, get out and walk down the carpet together," Matt explains. "I go first, then the cast, and then the writers. We'll be shown to a VIP screening room and then all we have to do is sit back and enjoy the show."

Nervous butterflies swarm in excitement. The premiere is tonight at 5:00. The episode airs at 8:00 PM, Eastern. I'm lounging with Matt and the cast on couches in the break room. Palmer sits a few feet away from me.

"So all we have to do is look good for the cameras?" Peyton asks.

"Yep. Flash a smile and enjoy the show."

Alex speaks up. "Will there be popcorn?"

I laugh along with the others. "No, Alex, you have to sneak your snacks in," Palmer jokes beside me. I send a smile her way. She returns it but it falters. We've been good recently, working well together, spending time together. James wasn't too happy I didn't listen to his warning, and I basically told him to fuck off. Which he wasn't too happy about, either. But I think we're working through it.

But with Palmer... There just seems to be something in the air between us. Unspoken words. I'm not sure what they are yet.

Our group adjourns and heads to the dressing room to get ready. The premiere's not for a few hours but it's going to take a while to get everyone ready for the red carpet. I can't wait to see what Palmer's wearing.

I stand at my vanity, applying my makeup. I wear pajama shorts and a bra, my hair in a messy bun. I hear a knock on my door.

"Come on in!" I call.

It's Palmer. She closes the door behind her and smiles at me in the mirror. "Hey."

"Hi. What's up?" Her makeup is already done, her usual natural look with mascara and winged eyeliner. Her hair twists into a braided knot on top of her head, secured with bobby pins. Smaller pieces fall from the bun, framing her face beautifully. She looks amazing. And all she wears is an oversized t-shirt with running shorts.

"I'm bored and don't want to change yet." She walks to my side and watches as I apply eyeliner. "You should add a wing," she suggests.

I shake my head. "I suck at it."

"Then let me," she offers. I shrug and hand her the pen. She gently pushes my shoulder and I sit in the chair. She stands over me and moves to bring the tip to my eye. "Hang on," she mumbles. Palmer puts a hand on each of my knees and spreads them apart to make room. She steps closer, my knees pressed against her sides.

She leans in again and I close my eyes as the tip presses against my eyelid. Her breath tickles my cheek as she works. It sends shivers through my body. When the pen pulls away my eyes flicker open. She's so close to me, her brown eyes examining mine. My gaze flickers to her lips but she pretends not to notice.

I close my eyes again as she moves to the other side. She takes a small step forward and her hips press against my thighs. Absentmindedly, my hand moves to her hip. My fingers brush against her side and she jerks backwards.

I quickly open my eyes and realize what I'm doing. "Sorry!" I blurt out. "Just, uh, I..." I trail off, not knowing what to say.

She gives a half-smile. "It's okay, Lex. Just startled me." She steps between my legs again and finishes with the eyeliner. I open my eyes and she tilts my head back and forth, examining her work. She smiles. "You look great."

"Thanks, Palmer."

"Sure thing." She steps away and puts the makeup on the vanity. "We should change. I'll meet you on set?"

"Yeah. See you there."

Palmer gives me one last smile before leaving, my eyes following her out.

---

I step into my red-carpet dress with the help of one of the costume designers, Mikaela. She zips me up and we admire the dress in the mirror.

The dress is light blue with thin straps, the top half tight and the bottom half flowing into a skirt. Beautiful lace trails down the bodice, outlining the V-shaped neckline that frames my chest. My hair falls around my face in waves instead of it's typical straight strands. I spin in a circle, careful not to trip on the fabric.

"You look amazing, Lexa!" Mikaela exclaims.

I laugh. "Thank you. But I think it's mostly the dress." I walk to the coffee table and grab the silver clutch that matches the gown. It holds my phone, keys, and wallet. They need to put more pockets in dresses.

Mikaela leaves me to finish getting ready. We're supposed to gather on set in ten minutes. Once I'm ready, I take one last look in the mirrors and leave the room.

Everyone's already there, except Palmer. And everyone looks good. The boys wear elegant tuxedos, and Peyton is gorgeous in a dark green dress. She smiles when she sees me. "Lexa! You look great," she smiles.

I return the grin. "Thanks, you too!"

"Are we waiting on Palmer?" Matt asks from a few feet away.

Alex rolls his eyes. "What else is new."

"Hey, I'm not even late," Palmer says from behind me.

I turn to face her and my heart stops in my chest. She wears a beautiful burgundy gown. The dress is strapless, the neckline curved across her chest. The fabric cinches at the waist and flows into a loose skirt. A slit runs up one side, her tan leg exposed. It's a simple dress and yet the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Maybe it's not the dress.

She stops a few feet away, a similar expression of delighted shock on her face. "You look amazing, Lex."

Her voice pulls me out of the trance and she walks forward until she's standing right in front of me. "You're stunning," I breathe.

She smiles, her one dimple standing out. I grin like a fool.

"Alright, that's everyone!" Matt calls. "Let's get to the limos."

The cast follows him but neither Palmer or I move. My eyes lock on hers and I never want to look away.

"Guys, let's go!" Alex calls back to us. "Make heart eyes later!"

That snaps me out of it. Palmer laughs at the comment and light color rises in my cheeks.

"Come on." She steps past me and I follow as if in a daze. When we get to the limos we're in the second one with Alex and Peyton. John, Joseph, Matt, and Brayden ride in the first one.

She sits right beside me, her bare shoulder pressed against mine. The familiar smell of jasmine reaches my nose. The limo starts moving and I take a deep breath, trying to control my nerves. Palmer notices. Of course she notices.

"Overthinking?" she whispers.

I give a small smile. "Maybe a little."

She doesn't reply but her hand finds mine. Our fingers lace together and she squeezes gently. I resist the urge to slide closer to her, resting my head on her shoulder. But I don't. I only sit there, holding her hand, wanting so badly to touch more of her. And wanting so badly not to feel this way. She holds my left hand and I feel the engagement ring pressed between our fingers.

This is wrong. I know that. But her hand in mine is the truest thing in the world.