13 - let's get something straight

Lexa

"Ali Reyes?" Palmer calls beside me, reading the script. Matt just threw in a new scene to set up the relationship between our characters. "Emily Michaels. Nice to meet you."

I glance sideways at her. "You too. Wallace said you were my tour guide?"

"Drew the short straw." Palmer glances my way, her eyes passing over my body. "Or maybe not."

"Michaels!" Alex calls from the end of the table. In the scene, he would be standing at the balcony overlooking the main floor. "You're supposed to be touring the building." He exaggerates the last word.

I don't have to try hard for a blush to creep into my cheeks. Palmer smiles and rolls her eyes beside me. "Ignore him," she says to me.

Matt reads the set directions. "Michaels leads Reyes around the room."

"Locker room, break room," Palmer gestures to an invisible door. "Kitchen and bathroom through there. Offices on that side and upstairs."

"They enter the locker room," Matt reads.

"This one's yours."

"Reyes opens the locker and arranges her things."

It's my turn to speak again. "How long have you been here?"

"About a year now. It's a great team, I think you'll fit in nicely."

I glance sideways at Palmer to see her eyes on mine. I smile, the next line already committed to memory. "I'm sure I will."

"Siren goes off. Enter Wallace," Matt calls.

"Michaels, Reyes, we got a call," John speaks up. "Apartment building. Let's move."

"And cut!" Matt smiles widely. "That was great!"

Palmer grins beside me. "Glad you liked it."

Peyton smirks on my other side. "Doubt he's the only one." Palmer doesn't seem to hear her.

"Alright everyone, great job. One hour lunch break and then we start filming!" People begin to disperse and I stand, Palmer beside me.

John turns to everyone. "Lunch in the break room?"

Palmer smiles. "Ahh, yes! I've been waiting for lunch."

I laugh. "Out of everything happening today, you're most excited about the food?"

Palmer rolls her eyes but smiles. "They said there'd be a buffet for the first day. And I'm hungry, so move it, Marshall." Palmer squeezes around me. Trying to contain my laughter, I follow her and the others to the break room.

We walk through the door and an amazing smell reaches my noise. Palmer looks at the full buffet table with her eyes wide. I laugh again, elbowing her in the shoulder. She jerks away as I do. My laugh quickly cuts off. I'm about to apologize when Alex steps between us, wrapping an arm around each of our shoulders.

"Come on, let's eat!" He walks us towards the table.

Palmer's smile returns but she hesitates before meeting my eyes. Trying to ignore the sudden awkwardness, we fill our plates and head to another table to eat. She doesn't sit next to me.

I hungrily eat the single sandwich wrap I picked up. Conversation ensues around me, the cast laughing and joking as friends.

"Hey, Palmer, Lexa," Brayden calls out. He sits to my left. "Did you guys know about the love interest thing?"

I stay quiet but Palmer smiles. "Nope. Found out, like, ten minutes before everyone else."

"I'm sure that'll be fun," Alex laughs on Palmer's right. I smirk when I see her elbow him in the ribs.

"I think it's a good idea," I speak up.

The laughter dies off. "You do?" Palmer looks at me, her head tilted to one side.

"Yeah, it'll be interesting," I reply cautiously.

Peyton tries to hide a smile beside me. "It'll definitely be something," she mumbles under her breath.

I smile, ignoring their comments, and get up to throw away my paper plate. I cross the room and sense her coming up beside me. Palmer presses her foot down on the pedal, opening the trash can for me. We toss our stuff in and I turn to her. She stands close to me and I remember that she's about two inches taller. A familiar whiff of jasmine hits my nose.

"Is it going to be weird? This whole love interest thing?" Her voice is calm but her eyebrows furrow slightly.

"No, why would it be?"

She frowns. "Cause you're not into girls. And you're my friend." Friend.

I try to give a reassuring smile. "Look, Palmer, it's not a big deal. And I don't mind that you're a girl."

"But you're straight."

I frown at her confused expression. "Yeah. So?"

She opens her mouth to respond but is interrupted as her phone rings.