Chapter 4

Newt led Brianna across the field in silence. She swallowed heavily. 'Look, you don't have to like us, you just can't run. Dying doesn't help anyone.'

'At least I won't be here any more,' Brianna murmured bitterly.

'You hungry?' Newt asked, ignoring her bitterness.

'Not really.' Brianna replied sorrowfully. She wasn't in the mood for eating anything at that moment, even if it was one of Frypan's specialities. It was a mixture of not wanting all of the Glader's attention and not wanting the embarrassment at her failed attempt to run away. She could barely stand Newt's smug gaze let alone Minho, Alby and Gally.

'C'mon, you can't not eat, you'll be starved tomorrow. Frypan won't save portions for your sorrow.' He teased, nudging her side.

'I thought I was having a tour so I know wherever the hell I am.' She rattled and he rolled his eyes, chuckling at her. Newt slinked his arm around her waist so she didn't run and guided her towards the many picnic tables set up around Frypan who was busily pouring condiments onto plates.

'Tour?' He chuckled. 'Tomorrow, you must be hungry.' He decided defiantly. 'You'll be so hungry that your stomach might infect your brain and make you walk towards the canteen and even if you don't, I'll make you go anyway because otherwise-'

'Ok, ok, I'll eat.' Brianna sighed eventually, tiring of his words.

'I do have expert persuading skills, don't I?' Newt teased, nudging her side again and she groaned, but smiled.

'So, you must be the chick everyone's talking about, I'm frypan by the way.' He said, stretching out his hand to gently shake her's. She politely took it and shot him a warm smile, knowing he was one of the few people who didn't either avoid her or want to kill her.

'Hey, I'm a girl.' Brianna greeted and Newt rolled his eyes.

'She won't tell anyone her name,' He explained lightly and Frypan nodded once, bemused by the complexity of female minds.

'Not even Alby?' Frypan asked doubtfully, taking his own plate and walking with them as Brianna followed Newt towards a table with Minho and Ben sitting, eagerly digging into their food enthusiastically. Brianna noticed that, despite their long day of running and traumatic encounters with grievers, they looked happy and revived.

'No, she even snapped at him!' Newt chuckled. 'It was hilarious.' Minho and Newt burst out laughing together at the memory as they sat down and Brianna reddened, going slightly sheepish.

'No way!' Frypan exclaimed and slapped Brianna lightly on the back. 'That's so awesome, girls are awesome!' The guys nodded in agreement.

'Hey, sorry for what happened earlier, I didn't mean to hurt you.' Brianna mumbled awkwardly at Minho and Newt, but they waved her off quickly.

'No problem, Greenies are always cranky, even girl ones.' Minho teased cockily, winking at her before returning his smirking gaze to his food. Brianna scowled momentarily.

'I know that we've met, but not in a usual way,' Minho began after a short pause and Brianna chuckled, embarrassed by how she ran away from them. 'So I'm Minho, feel free to stare, we all know I'm the future love of your life.'

He winked at Brianna who rolled her eyes, watching him with a raised eyebrow as he kissed her knuckle dramatically. 'Hey, she's already ran once, she's probably still scared to death and I really don't want you scaring her off again, you flirt.' Newt teased and Minho rolled his eyes, shooting Brianna another wink.

'Sorry, mate, I didn't realise she was taken,' Minho said tauntingly, watching Newt throw daggers at him.

'Well, excuse me, SHE is sitting right beside you, you know,' Brianna reminded them, frustrated by their flirtatious immature behaviour.