Chapter 25

Hey,
Thanks for reading, but sorry if this chapter is a bit rubbish- I wrote it quite quickly because I had loads of exams and I felt really bad that I hadn't updated in ages and you guys deserved it... I promise that it will get better!
Please vote and comment!
Enjoy,
Annabelle_the_reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brianna's eyes fluttered open, glowering in the sudden intense light streaming down onto her face. She blinked twice, adjusting her eye sight from the darkness that had engulfed her wildest dreams.

She woke up with Newt at the other end of the bed, having rolled over off his chest, but their legs still entwined and their blankets everywhere. She shivered slightly with the feeling of emptiness for the first time since she entered the Glade. Brianna lay there motionless, listening to the faint murmurs of the Gladers getting up.

'Mornin', beautiful,' Newt murmured into her ear teasingly, tightening his grip around her waist, the distance lessening with every moment.

His fingers twirled in her hair, unknotting all the tangles from the night before and separating every strand. He bought his head into her neck deeply inhaling her scent, before gently kissing it and yanking her back to reality. Brianna smiled slightly, her body realising a heavy sigh. She loved just lying there and feeling his warm breath on her neck. She hadn't been so close to Newt, but felt so safe and secure and happy.

'Morning handsome.' She replied smiling, turning over to kiss his jaw gently and replying in the same manner. But then Brianna just shuffled further into his warm, comforting body and lay there. She loved relaxing beside Newt, saying nothing to one another in the morning.

'I best get up, Alby wants to go over some klunk with me.' He grumbled, rolling over and getting out of the bed. Brianna nodded and flopped back over onto her side, closing her eyes and drifting back to sleep.

~

Brianna walked over to the logs by the fire and sat next to Thomas, braiding her hair over her shoulder. Thomas and her had been the first up (after the runners) and so were sat alone at the logs by the fire, waiting for everyone else. 'Why such a long face? What's up with you?' Thomas asked her.

'Sorry, I'm just tired.' She shrugged, leaning slightly against him in order to keep herself upright. Patrick shuffled slightly, but only to make her more comfortable and not as an act of anger or repulsion that Brianna was almost asleep on his shoulder.

'Well, you look awful,' Thomas commented.

'Thanks, friend.' She teased sarcastically, nestling her head into his shoulder. He was just a little taller than she was, which enabled his shoulder to be at the perfect height for her to rest upon. He put an arm around her shoulder and squeezed, sending her a small, brotherly smile.

'Newt and Alby are coming, look alive.' Thomas told her and elbowed her in the ribs. Groaning, Brianna snapped up into a sitting position, trying to save the fire just in front of her. Her eyes lifted to glance across at Thomas, who seemed surprisingly cheerful all of a sudden, which just further provided a bigger contrast to how tired she was.

Her eyelids drooped, but she forced herself to look upwards slightly. 'Bri, stay with us, Brianna!' Thomas said urgently, but Brianna just allowed herself to fall onto his shoulder. He relaxed slightly, not bothering to wake her, until suddenly he tensed, 'Brianna, Newt's coming over and is watching.'

'So?' She grunted, not opening her eyes a fraction.

'No, Brianna, he's not watching, he's scowling.' Brianna immediately shot upwards from where she was leaning against Thomas and he shot her a questioning look, but Brianna didn't have enough time to explain. If Newt was scowling, she needed to stop to ensure he didn't get jealous. Newt had always felt slightly vulnerable around Brianna, particularly as she was the only girl with so many boys, at least half as which liked her. Brianna had immediately become close friends with Thomas at the bonfire earlier, so she knew she had to be cautious because Newt didn't trust him yet.

'I have to go collect fire wood.' Brianna whispered vaguely and slid off the log, her eyes briefly meeting Thomas's to assure him everything was ok. 'Watch the fire, please?' He nodded and she walked over to Newt.

As she was about to exit the fields towards the trees, Newt grabbed her by the wrist and spun her around so that she was facing him, an excited grin plastered across his lips.

'Good morning, Brianna,' Newt said a little too cheerfully. 'I didn't believe you'd actually get out of bed when I woke you up.'

'I'm always up this early, in fact I was up even earlier when I was a runner.' Brianna disagreed, but Newt just laughed and grabbed bed the hand, pushing her against a nearby tree.

'You beautiful, Brianna, I love you so much.' He whispered. His eyes keeping close to her own in wonder and care. Her breath hitched in her throat as Newt's lips moved from her ear to brush across her cheeks. 'Wow, your eyes...'

'What about them?' Brianna mumbled confused, feeling slightly uncomfortable as he stared at her so intently.

'The color," he breathed. 'When you stand in the light. They're amazing... the sapphire blue speckled with turquoise. I could paint those ultramarine...' He reached towards her but then pulled back. Brianna stared back at him uncomfortably. 'They're beautiful. You're beautiful. I love you so much.'

'I love you to.' Brianna said, pecking him on the lips and wriggled under his arm, leaving him wanting more. He stood there for a moment, looking at the spot where she left in self pity and longing.

Brianna smirked at how easily she could manipulate him and sat back down beside Thomas. 'Thanks for watching the fire.' She mumbled and Thomas smiled, noticing how miserable she was and allowed her to rest her head against his shoulder once again. 'You know, you're like an older brother to me.'

His eyes turned to meet her own, smiling rather sadly because he was so pleased. 'I was thinking recently that you're like a little sister to me.'

Brianna nodded and then said, 'When you next see Newt, tell him for me please?' And then, Brianna allowed her body to slip into sleep, listening to Thomas's soft breathing against her neck.