Chapter 52

Hey,
Thanks for reading and supporting my book for 52 chapters! (PS I think we might actually be on chapter 51 and I just miss counted- oops!)
Anyway, please vote and comment.
Enjoy,
Annabelle_the_reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'What do you suggest, then?' He sighed eventually, exasperated by how obstinate she could be. Brianna was firm and always kept to her morals and beliefs. She wouldn't ever agree to a plan that would cause the absolute destruction of another.

'Kiss me, Newt, kiss me and it will be alright.' He hesitated in the shadow of the trees, unsure of what he wanted and what he should want. He lurched forward, closing the distance between them in only three strides. The kiss terrified Brianna, like there was too much tension, as if deep down he knew I would do it again- like he was afraid we only had so much time left together. He couldn't have been any closer to the truth.

'I love you,' She promised and then the sound of the walls closing echoed throughout the Glade. Brianna didn't have much time, but she had enough to race towards the walls and fling herself over the edge.

Her body collided with the ground and she knew she twisted her ankle, unable to run away from the Glade any further.

Then Newt, who was easily just as fast at sprinting as she was, pelted through the wall and grabbed Brianna's waist, yanking her through the exit. 'What the bloody hell?' He yelled at her face, anger prominent in his beastly tone.

'I did it to save you.' She objected obstinately, folding her arms over her chest. She cared so much for Newt, letting him hate her to save his life seemed like a plausible sacrifice.

'Save me? I despise you for this, I can't believe you would be so bloody stupid!' He ranted carelessly waving his arms frantically around to highlight his point. 'I told you to wait until we settled something. This foolishness won't help anyone.'

'It'll help you and that's all that matters,' she whispered and on that note, strutted off with her head held high.  

Newt grabbed her arm from behind, stopping her mid tracks. 'Help me? Please don't put my needs above your own, Brianna, you mean more to me than this. You are too bloody precious for me to just let you go because you want to help me, we can figure something out together.'

'No we can't Newt, it's saving you or me. And I chose you, what do you choose?' She asked, not bothering to notice to notice all of the Gladers around her.

'No Brianna, I wouldn't choose either of us without talking to you,' he mumbled, before turning his back on her and walking away. The lump in Brianna's throat appeared, but she swallowed deeply. She couldn't believe her eyes. She had betrayed Newt and cost him her love.

'Newt!' She called, but nothing got past him, Newt continued to walk and Brianna broke down in tears. She sat down on the grass and wept until her tears stung her eyes. Then, after half an hour of crying, with the Gladers unsure of what to do, she slid up from the floor to find Newt.

'Newt.' Brianna whispered her greeting, having spotted his body hunched over on the grass, leaning forward and not reacting to his name.

Brianna perched herself on the ground in front of him, her eyes never leaving his. Brianna wanted to see him now and forever. Brianna's eyes always on him. She loved him. She hated to see him like this, bitter over her own mistake

He murmured, his voice harsh and cold, the bitterness leaking out. 'It sucks, Brianna, knowing one of us is going to have to die, I'm not angry with you, but with the bloody shuck-face creators. I would've done the same if it were you who was supposed to die.'

'It's my burden to bare, I have to face the consequences.' Brianna reminded him stubbornly. This was what she feared, that her life would be a hideous burden to the one person she loved and cared for more than anything. Her death shouldn't be a burden either.

'No, no, no...' He whispered, the words trailed off into almost silence, but each one more mocking than the last. 'I can't let you die, ok? Promise me you won't die and I won't either.'

Newt got down on her knees and Brianna whispered something, but the words died before they reached him. 'I promise.' She repeated.

'I trust you not to kill me, I always have and I always will, you can resist, Bri, I know you can.' Newt asserted, his voice sounded more convinced than the spine-chilling fear that numbed her body.

'I don't know what I want to do more to you: kill you or kiss you.' Brianna whispered, her voice true and assertive, her tone frustrated and bitter. She loved him, but she wasn't sure how far that would go.

'All good things, Brianna, must come to an end.' Newt's hands returned to her own, intwining with them and keeping them safe. It was a promise to never leave her, whatever happens. But it is too late. He was right: all good things had come to an end, even their ever lasting love.

Then he planted a tender kiss on her lips. It wasn't passionate and ruthless, but it was simple and romantic. Brianna had almost forgotten how much she missed those sweet drugging kisses. His kisses, just as his words, are poison, yet she drank to many of these sweet words of no meaning. Brianna was afraid to say that she was drowning now with no way out.

'Unlike my own, Brianna, your love died for me before you ever will. Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of pain and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.' He licked his lips, watching her reaction carefully. 'My love for you will never die.'

'Promise?' Brianna mumbled and his eyes reached up to search her own for any reaction.

'I promise.' He concluded, linking his fingers with her own. 'I want you to know, Brianna, that no matter how star crossed we are, I will be with you until the end. I will protect you from the Glade and the Grievers and never, ever let them all hurt you. We can find a way out of this maze together.'

'I hope I don't die soon, Newt, I don't-' but he interrupted her with his finger, not wanting her to say the most painful things they could say. He removed his finger and looked her deep in the eyes as Brianna finally breathed out, 'I want it to be cold the day I die, so that when I die and say I love you, my last hot breath will enable you to see just how much I love you.'

'I already can and I love you so much more,' He promised and before Brianna could play the "No, I love you more" game all the Gladers hated, he kissed her quickly and romantically, like he couldn't imagine her hot lips being as cold as ice. Just as he pulled apart, he mumbled hotly, 'Let's defy the rules until we die, just like we are right now and just like we have. You know my heart's too ruthless to break.'

Then Brianna realised that dying for Newt  to save his life wasn't being brave. It would be brave that she will take her own life to save Newt's without thinking about it, without a second of hesitation, and without appearing to consider any other option.

That was what was going on in her brain as Brianna sat beside Newt, a small smile wavering her my lips. Brianna was silent for a moment, her eyes slightly watering, before she frantically wiped away the tears with the back of her hand until she was sure they were red and swollen. Brianna knew the rules: never let them see that your hurting.