Chapter 39

Hey,
Thanks for reading.
Please vote and comment.
This chapter I wrote while I was writing the last one, but I had no wifi at my aunt and uncle's place so I had to wait till I got home to update.
Enjoy,
Annabelle_the_reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brianna was just talking to Minho and Thomas about their day in the maze maze. It was Thomas's first day and no matter how jealous she was of him, Brianna insisted that she talk to him for hours about it and about how much she longed she could be in there with him. Brianna, Chuck, Alby, Thomas and Minho were all sat by the wall, laughing and talking about the maze.

Newt walked past, looking rather angry about something. Minho glanced at Brianna, biting his lip. Knowing what this meant, Brianna politely excused herself from the boys and headed towards Newt.

'Hey, Newtie, what's wrong?' Brianna tried to wrap her arms around his waist from behind, but he leant out of her touch, as if it was poison to him. She knew this usually cheered him up and he usually softened to her after this, making her wonder whether she was part of the reason for his anger. Brianna was confused and slightly hurt, but said softly, 'Newt...?'

'What were you doing with them?' He asked suddenly, kneeling down and watering something growing, Brianna had no idea what on Earth it was, except that it was edible and delicious once it had been harvested and cooked.

'We were just talking,' Brianna said as calmly as possible, trying not to add any suspicion to their discussion.

Newt laughed. 'Bloody hell, can't you just tell me the truth? They don't "just talk", what did they want, Brianna?' He got up to gently fiddle with something growing up a stick, making Brianna feel bored just watching him. But she couldn't feel bored, because he had used her full name instead of Bri, something he only did when he was angry with her.

'We were just talking about Thomas's first day as a runner. They didn't want anything except to talk.' Brianna convinced him smoothly, trying to remain calm even though she was getting annoyed at his possessive immature behaviour. Ever since Thomas, Alby and Minho were stuck in the maze and Brianna cried, Newt had been suspicious of her talking to them and she was beginning to grow weary of the fact that he didn't trust her.

'Really?' He snapped angrily. He averted his attention from the random plant he was prodding and practically growled at Brianna, 'You and Thomas weren't flirting?'

'I wasn't flirting with Thomas and Thomas wasn't flirting with me. What is your problem with him and me being best friends with him?' Brianna argued with Newt. She had done nothing wrong, except Newt was accusing her of spending all of her spare time with him. This was mostly because she could see Newt all day, but Thomas and Minho were in the maze now so she couldn't see them as much.

'My problem is that I think your cheating on me.' Newt bit back spitefully, folding his arms in front of his chest and challenging Brianna to refuse this. She frowned, perplexed at their situation.

'I'm not doing anything of the sort, Newt.' Brianna said firmly, laughing slightly in awkwardness. 'I love you and I want you be with you. I can't believe you would think me so low as to cheat on you with one of our friends.' Brianna pushed her hair blonde hair out of her eyes, looking intently at the ground to not have to meet his gaze.

Unable to prevent herself from doing anything irrational that she would regret, Brianna turned on her heel and stormed out towards her hammock, frustrated with a Newt beyond compare. 'Wait! Love, please!'

Newt ran in front of Brianna, his right hand in front of her to stop her in her tracks. Brianna pushed past him fiercely and growled, 'I'm not hanging around so you can continue to accuse me and Thomas of doing something we are not doing!'

'Oh come on, Bri, you can't tell me you don't see what I mean!' Newt yelled as he continued to follow Brianna towards her hammock. Gladers in the fields were beginning to stop and look towards them in curiosity, trying to subtly listen to what their argument was about. Brianna didn't mind until she noticed that Thomas was one of them.

'It doesn't matter though because we're friends, Newt. He doesn't have feelings for me because we see each other as nothing more than friends.' Brianna protested, her face burning red.

'I highly doubt that.' Newt snapped back. 'If I weren't around you'd probably be helplessly in love with each other.' He fake cooed, pulling an aggressive, mocking face at Brianna.

'Well at least Thomas is sweet and caring and funny and kind and trusts me. If you weren't around, Thomas wouldn't be standing here yelling at me about my friends!' Brianna spat the words at Newt like venom, beginning to feel like her boyfriend was beginning to test her patience with him. What more did he want from her?

'Then why don't you date Thomas instead?' Newt yelled all of a sudden, louder than he had been before and attracting the attention of the Gladers in the depths of the Glade. They stood staring at each other as they tried to steady their breathing. Brianna almost gasped and she felt the people around her stunned, Thomas in particular who was looking between Brianna and Newt in confusion and amazement.

Brianna's voice was calm and collective, as she said finally, 'No, because I loved you.'

Brianna, putting her emphasis on the past tense, moved through the Glade swiftly and confidently, knowing that Newt wasn't following her this time. 'Where are you going?'

At first, she ignored his yell, but then a small smile played on her lips as she turned around, before yelling loudly and sharply, 'To find Thomas!'