Chapter 20

Hey,
Thanks for reading! I decided to update pretty quickly because the previous chapter was pretty rubbish- but thanks for sticking with it anyway.
The "Save Newt" thing will be revealed shortly, but right now I feel really sorry for Brianna at the end of this chapter :(
Anyway, please vote and comment.
Annabelle_the_reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'It should be healing soon, the med-jacks say only a few days before I can walk again!' She declared happily, but everyone else around her looked doubtful. Her outburst of pride and enthusiasm wasn't enough to gain her a position as a runner, particularly after her fall.

'Exactly,' Alby began, scratching the back of his neck. 'A few days before you can walk. It could be weeks before you can run with the same speed and stamina of a runner.' Brianna's eyes scanned his face, bewilderment and anxiety eminent on her dismal expression. She felt lost and wordless, unsure of how to react.

'You know how dangerous it can be, we wouldn't want you to get hurt, again.' Gally added, smirking at her with the joy that he was ruining her reputation. Her hunched shoulders relaxed slightly, biting her lip as her eyes scanned across the room, not wanting to say anything, but having so much too say.

Minho, of all people, knew her limits. He had seen how strong she was at running, taking notes and drawing the maps. It wasn't just being able to run for miles, it was also intelligence, agility, time keeping and the ability to draw accurately. It was rare they managed to find a Greenie that satisfied all of those. 'I know, but she's a good runner, we can't let her go just because of a minor injury she will heal from.'

'She may never be strong enough, we have to wait until it's healed before we let her run again, I say let's make it two weeks before we start discussing again.' Newt suggested, his eyes not meeting Brianna's. Honestly, she felt betrayed. He knew what being a runner meant to her, but he was willingly going against his new girl friend. Her heart sank a little.

'Two weeks?' She spluttered. 'Newt, I would go out tomorrow.'

Even Minho chuckled at this, knowing that there was no chance of this. Minho was notorious for his intelligence, knowing that if you ask for a lot, the other Keepers will be more willing to drag down the bargin.

'What you want and what you ought to do are two very different things, Brianna.' Newt explained and she shrunk back, embarrassed by her outburst to question the authority of Newt and Alby.

Eventually, it was Minho's turn to talk once again, coming as a relief to Brianna. 'She has already had three days to recuperate, she won't need another two weeks if she's already walking. So long as she spends lots of time exercising her ankle, she should be well enough to be a runner before then.'

'I disagree.' Gally said sternly and all eyes turned to him, making his smirk grow. 'If she's able to fall down a flight of stairs and almost break her ankle, what else could happen? Her second day running and this-' he gestured to her leg. '-Is what she has to show for it? She can't go out again, ever, or she will endanger her life.'

'I appreciate your concern, Gally, but it won't be necessary,' Brianna stated firmly. 'I tripped and fell, therefore I have learnt from my mistake and won't be so careless around those parts again. Please just let me try.' She begged.

'I still think we should settle for a time between Gally and Minho's.' Newt interjected.

'Listen!' Minho exclaimed. 'I was the only one of us there and I have never seen so much bravery. I know the runners very well and when I was training them, I remember how scared they were. If the other runners, on their second day, were presented with a Greiver, they wouldn't have acted as Brianna had done, with bravery and resislience. Sure, she's not perfect. But she's a good shank and a good runner too.'

'I don't care how good of a bloody runner she is, if her leg isn't healed, then her bravery won't be much help, will it?' Newt retorted angrily, trying to protect his girl friend, but just making her feel even more betrayed than ever.

'I think you have also forgotten that when she heard a Griever, she helped me. Most runners would vacate quickly, but she acted on her instincts to check my well being. If she never runs again, we would have lost a shucking good runner.' Minho said eventually, then plopped back into his chair.

'I think I have made my decision,' Alby said sternly, his eyes narrowing as he looked around the room at all of the furious and bewildered faces. 'I will have to agree with Newt. She must run again, Gally, but not too soon as to worsen her injury. Two weeks and then Minho can analyse how good of a runner she is, without his knowledge of her bravery, only her agility.'

Everyone nodded, realising his words were truthful and fair. Except Brianna. She wanted more, she wanted to run the following day, just like she knew she was meant to. She couldn't face two more weeks in the Glade, she wanted to go into the maze, even if it meant disobeying Newt and Alby.