Chapter 22

Hey,
Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment.
I'm really sad about the ending to this... I feel so sorry for Brianna :-(
Anyway, thanks for bearing with during my exams and I couldn't update as much... I really appreciate your patience.
Enjoy,
Annabelle_the_reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brianna only realised she had fallen asleep when she awoke, her eyes fluttering open to gaze into Newt's. One hand was placed delicately on her waist, not applying too much pressure just incase he woke her, whilst the other lingered in her hair, gently combing any tangles from the blonde pillow.

Night was falling. But they didn't move. Brianna didn't even sit up from his lap. He didn't move his hands, except the therapeutic combing of her hair. They just waited.

Soon the light disappeared below the horizon and the sky turned dark but Newt and Brianna sat on the branch gazing at the place where the light disappeared. Brianna decided lowering lights were mesmerising. Then their sight was robbed off them, except each other's darkened silhouettes. They were together in silence, complete silence.

'Shall we return?' Newt broke the perfect silence, but, as they walked back to their hammocks, Brianna knew they only had a few more hours until the Gladers came looking for them. Just them, in their blissful infinity, no matter how short it really was, it couldn't be put into numbers (except a few minutes- of course).

~

Brianna's eyes fluttered open, glowering in the sudden intense light streaming down onto her face. She blinked twice, adjusting her eye sight from the darkness that had engulfed her wildest dreams: the first since she entered the maze to not be haunted by Save Newt.

Brianna woke up alone, shivering slightly with the feeling of emptiness for the first time in almost a week, since Newt showing her the tree. It hadn't been long, but it felt like months ago that she tripped and even longer since she arrived in the Glade. A lot had happened since then. Brianna lay there motionless, listening to the faint snores of Gladers snoozing across the field.

Eventually, Newt's voice speaking to Alby echoed from the corner of the Glade. 'Alby, you don't understand. It hasn't been hell since her arrival. Sure, some of the Gladers took a little longer than others, but I think most of them have come around. Anyways, I'm really beginning to feel like I'm actually beyond liking her, like I'm helplessly in love with her.' Brianna's heart skipped a beat as Newt listened to Alby's reply. Up until that moment those words had seemed empty, like he was saying them in the hopefulness that she'd say it back.

He and Alby carried on for quite some time, but Brianna wasn't listening. Brianna couldn't help the smile creeping onto her lips as she thought this carefully through, until she heard Newt's heavy footsteps across the Glade.

'Mornin', beautiful,' Newt murmured into her ear, tightening his grip around her waist, the distance lessening with every moment. Brianna's body fitted perfectly with his, the height distance making every night easy, even with his touch winding her of her breath.

His fingers twirled in her hair, unknotting all the tangles from the night before and separating every strand. He bought his head into her neck deeply inhaling her scent, before gently kissing it and yanking me back to reality. Brianna smiled slightly, her body realising a heavy sigh. She loved just lying there and feeling his warm breath on her neck.

'Morning handsome.' Brianna smiled in reply, turning over and kissing his jaw gently. But then she just shuffled further into his warm, comforting body and lay there. Brianna loved just relaxing, saying nothing to one another in the morning.

'Bri, Babe, we've got to get up.' Newt sighed, leaving small kisses on her neck which both tickled, annoyed and excited her.

'No.' She grumbled, wrapping the covers in front of her tighter around her, groaning slightly as she did so. He'd tried to wake her before, only that time it was almost worth it.

'C'mon, I have to talk to you,' He murmured and she sat up instantly, panic rising inside of her. These very words struck fear inside of her as they were spoken with such dismal sadness, like he actually was upset by it.

'About what?' She spluttered.

'About your time in the maze.' He hoisted himself onto his elbow, realising this was serious to her now. She bit her bottom lip, gnawing on the flesh until it gently bled as she blinked into his eyes. She couldn't quit, but neither could she run tomorrow. She felt a spark of anger at first, realising it hadn't been two weeks and they had broken their promise.

'What about it?'

He inhaled sharply, placing an arm across her waist to comfort her before he even began to talk. 'I know that running meant a lot to you, as it does to any runner, but this is different. You aren't walking perfectly and we are worried vigorous exercise would strain it-'

But Brianna had already interrupted him, 'I can practice! I'll try, just please let me be a runner again!' She begged.

'I know, I know. Of course you'll try.' He cooed, brushing the hair away from her cheeks which was already stained with tears. 'But trying isn't good enough.' He said sternly. 'You have to be as strong as you were before the incident, otherwise it's pointless. Otherwise you'll be hurt and may be unable to walk again, or even be unable to escape a Griever or be back before the gates close. The maze isn't a game, Brianna, it's a harsh reality. The maze will test you.'

'I know, but even if I am not as good as I was before, I will leave and search myself. I have to help Minho and the runners, I cannot leave them. Survival is improbable, but success is not impossible. I can help them help me, otherwise I may slowly loose my own exsistance.' She said harshly and sternly, trying to take control of the situation.

Newt just sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, 'Brianna, you know I love you, but I can't let you run again, ever.'

Her heart sank.