Ch 0.4 Surviving Death - Zombie AU Part 1

A/N: Another AU story that is going to be broken up into two parts because I just kept writing so much. You could say that this is in celebration of the return of the Walking Dead, which starts up again this Sunday (February 8th). The Walking Dead has become one of my favorite shows, even though I typically stay away from gory and scary things. Anyway I hope you enjoy this little story. Feedback is always appreciated, especially since I haven't written much to part 2 of this yet. Enjoy!

Korra hustled to chop down the forestry. The Sun was going down. They had to find a place to stay before night fell. Staying out after dark was a death sentence. Footsteps followed behind her, careful to follow her steps so as to make less sounds. The woman looked behind her to make sure her teenage daughter was keeping up. Even if the girl was a star athlete and was capable of defending herself, she still grew nervous. The girl pulled out a map. “I think we’re headed for that town nearby. We can stay there for the night, maybe a few days if we’re lucky.”

“We’ll have to wait and see, kiddo.”

Riko nodded. Of course that was protocol. What if the town was overrun by walkers? Or, sometimes worse, people?

They continued their trek towards an unknown town when they heard a gunshot. Both instantly froze. They waited to see if anything would appear out of the forest. Suddenly another gunshot. Riko grabbed her mother’s arm and marched back in the right direction. “C’mon, we’re not sticking around for this.”

“No, we have to check it out at least.” Korra argued.

Riko groaned. Why did Korra insist on trying to help everyone they met? Most of the time, it didn’t turn out well! And it’s a waste of precious bullets! But Riko couldn’t argue with her mother, not just because she’s her superior, but because the woman had already run off in the other direction. Riko quickly followed after Korra so to not to lose her, again.

Asami sweated bullets as the horde grew closer. She was down to the last of her ammo and had virtually no other weapons. She had to think smart. Three bullets left. Not enough to put a dent into the group of walkers. Damn it. Even if someone was passing by, no one would be dumb enough to help her. A single person stuck with over a dozen walkers. It’s not worth it.

However, luck was on her side today.

A shot rang in the distance, then another, and just like that, half of the zombies were down. Asami gasped and looked around, but whoever it is was must’ve been hiding in the shadows for safety. She furrowed her brow in thought again. Someone was deciding to help her, but was it still worth her last bullets? She quickly came up with a plan and waited until two zombies got too close to her to shoot her last bullets. And just like that, all of the zombies were taken out. Asami blinked. Did she hear two different guns? She waited until her rescuers appeared and boy was she shocked.

A tan woman emerged from tree line, gun in hand. Another, younger, girl stepped out hesitantly, constantly taking in her surroundings, and also with a gun. Both were very muscular and Asami knew she couldn’t take them both on. She had saved one last bullet in case. But she had to internally appreciate the older girl’s beauty.