Ch 0.35 Trapped in the Shadows Part 1 (She-Ra crossover)

A/N: So this is going to be a She-Ra/Korra crossover story, but it doesn't take place in the exact same world as Korra. Meaning yeah we're in Republic City, but it has all the kinds of people from She-Ra and benders. (no Avatar). It's supposed to be a mix of people. Anyway, if you haven't watched She-Ra then you should. (I'm pretty sure I've said that like 3 times already, but oh well.) Seriously, it's a great show and season two just released!

Also TW: for child abuse...

Republic City... A city of life. Of culture. Of substance. It had been the creation of all of the nations uniting for a common cause. The land had been in chaos for so long. They hoped making a city meant for all people would help stop the fighting. It made things rougher at first, but now, almost 30 years later, people were learning to trust each other again.

Riko wandered down the hall slowly, hands in her pockets, eyes looking down. She knew being called to the headmistress's office was bad. Every other time had gone badly. It wasn't bad for everyone, though. Some kids were obvious favorites.

"Now get out!" A loud voice echoed down the hall.

The door slammed open and a tan girl was thrown out. Riko winced as she landed on her butt with a thump. She peeked open and noted the girl's wild mane, cat ears, and markings on her arms. She particularly noticed the side of her face was redder than normal.

'Catra.'

The two of them met eyes for less than a second and then Catra ran off. Riko took a deep breath and steeled herself. Ms. Weaver didn't have to say a word for her, just motioned her inside. 

Catra ran until she reached the rooftop. She stopped to catch her breath and then sat near the edge to watch the city. The hustle and bustle of Republic City was always a good distraction. The door to the roof creaked open and Catra scowled, knowing exactly who followed her.

A shoulder bumped into hers as her best friend sat down next to her. "Want to talk about it?"

Catra huffed and crossed her arms. "What's to talk about? It's just like every time."

Blonde hair swirled with the wind. A quiet laugh came from her and she unraveled Catra's arms. "It's okay, Catra. You want to talk about the rest of your day?"

The sky was turning dark orange, with blue peeking out. Catra began to relax. "Not really, Adora. I just want to go to bed."

Adora blinked in surprise. Her best friend was usually so fired up. What had happened in the headmistress's office to make her like this?

She shook her head. "Alright, Catra. Let's head back inside then."

Catra looked up at her with wide eyes as Adora stood up and stretched her hand out to help her up. Then she smiled, grateful that Adora let it go so easily, and grabbed her hand. 

"I'm reaching my breaking point with you, Riko."

Riko gulped and kept her head down. "I understand, Headmistress."

"Do you?! This is not the first fight you've been in! And they seem to be getting worse! This is not acceptable behavior to come from the Horde Orphanage! You want to get adopted right?!"

Riko quietly took in the verbal abuse and shrank into herself. Of course, she wanted to get adopted, but what Ms. Weaver didn't care about was that Riko was protecting other orphans at school.