Chapter 26

Korra ripped the newspaper from her wife’s hands. Asami had been scowling at it for the past ten minutes. Korra read the first few lines and quickly incinerated the paper in her hands. Two of the most prominent families in Republic City had gotten into a big fight, or at least that is what the press is focusing on. Riko and Kohaku had no idea how important the kid was. They just gave him what he deserved. Things were about to get really ugly.

“This can’t be happening.” Asami mumbled into her hands.

Korra began pacing the room. There was literally nothing they could do. It’s been days since the incident and still no justice had been brought down on either side. While they racked their brains for a solution, White Lotus envoys guarded the mansion.

Riko sat in bed, knees pulled up to her chin. Karina sat beside her, combing her fingers through her hair in an attempt to cheer her up. She quickly realized that her girlfriend was falling back into her depression, if her appearance was anything to go by.

Riko glanced at her bandaged arm and sighed. Now she had a scar to match the one on her other arm from the bear trap. How romantic. Not. Her new wound was still very fresh, though. With the combination of fire, the skin immediately around the gash was also burned and open to infection. It would take much more complex healing for this to go away.

Haru, the family butler, appeared in the living room, where Korra and Asami were beginning to get angrier with each other than with the situation at hand. He coughed to get their attention. Asami rose a brow and stood up to meet him. He had the phone in his hand. “The Chief-of-Police wishes to speak to you.”

Asami nodded her thanks and took the phone from him. Korra drew closer to the phone to eavesdrop.

“Hello, Lin? What’s going on now?” Asami asked.

Lin sighed on the other line. “Well you’re not gonna like it, but I have a proposition, a sort of solution for both sides of this.”

“I’m listening.” Asami said.

“If both families drop the charges on each other, this whole thing could be taken care of without anyone going to jail.”

“Are you kidding me?!” Korra yelled. “There’s no way! He was abusing our little girl!”

Before Lin could interject, Asami spoke up. “I’m sorry Lin, but Korra’s right on this one. We can’t just let this go. How do we even know that the other family will agree to this anyway?”

“Listen girls, I’ve thought about this a lot and I hate it as much as you do. But if you continue this, both of your kids will go to jail while that bastard kid gets off with community service. Is that really what you want?” Lin answered.

Everyone went silent. Asami rubbed her forehead tiredly and sighed. “What do we have to do for this to work?”

Korra glared at the other family as they entered the police department. Asami grabbed her arm, trying to keep up her businesswoman demeanor. “Down, girl. If this is going to work then we have to get along for now.”